Day 21 - No chicks hatching out or peeping or chirping or moving! Help

I have four children and now it feels like in the labour ward waiting for my chicks to hatch! Day 21 and getting worried but full of hope. The kids keep taking the piss and this afternoon woke me up from a nap. Dad the eggs are hatching!! I rushed downstairs just for all of them to start laughing. No chicks yet.

Finally one chick has hatched

I'm curious what happened with the eggs? Did they hatch? I am on day 22, no peeping, no pipping, nothing yet. I have the Little Giant Still Air 9300 incubator with an automatic egg turner. I have consistently kept my temps (just above the eggs) at 99.5. My humidity is running around 75% now for lockdown, was between 45-55 prior to lockdown. I haven't opened the lid since day 18. I only had 9 full term live chicks during my last candling....9 out of 41. It's my first incubating project, and I'm not sure what has went wrong. I've hovered over the incubator, keeping an eye on things.

Hi I got two chicks out of 12 eggs. They are growing well. I put another 12 and got 8 out. These are in the brooder at the moment and have started feeding.

My setup is 37.5 Deg C humidity @49-52 day 1-19. After that humidy 55-65 I have two calibrated instruments and take the average of the two.
I learnt not to open the box!! From day 19-24 unless the hatch is all done at day 23.

Great news whatever you do not open it. The chicks can stay in there for 2 days without eating or drinking. Even if they move about and knock all the other eggs about. When they hatch they will fall all over and might be dragging some shell about. Do not help they it will detach on its own.
Best of luck

Help !!! I can hear chirping and movements but they are not pipping through . One hatched yesterday but 2 haven't and those are the ones i can hear .they are 3 days past there hatch date. I gave them an extra 24 hours after hearing them chirp yesterday . Can I start a pip hole ?

Last edited:
If you can hear them and there is no hole yet chances are they will not get out. I had the same thing and my wife kept telling me to leave them alone unfortunately they never made it. When I cracked the eggs open I had three fully developed and had already consumed the York.
I would read the article on helping them out. After reading it follow the instructions and go for it as they will otherwise have no chance.
Best of luck

If you can hear them and there is no hole yet chances are they will not get out. I had the same thing and my wife kept telling me to leave them alone unfortunately they never made it. When I cracked the eggs open I had three fully developed and had already consumed the York.
I would read the article on helping them out. After reading it follow the instructions and go for it as they will otherwise have no chance.
Best of luck

Yeah, I did make a pip hole for one of them and the chick is still alive and chirping. There are blood vessels present but I was careful not to rupture it and I have it covered and kept moist until I see it has absorbed everything. I attempted with 1 other an easter egger and it had already passed . I was too late for that one . Also checked my last 2 easter eggers with a float test and they were no longer viable either. I hadn't heard anything in them, so sadly I didn't expect them to make it . I do have the 2 rhode island reds, one hatched normally and the other is the one I'm helping and I pray it makes it . We were really sad when we lost the others today .

Back
Top Bottom