Day 21 no external pip

hollyc997

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
I have 10 silkie eggs in my incubator which all showed good growth up until day 18 when it went into lockdown.
Its day 21 and i hear chirping or external pip.
What should i do

Are you sure that the temperature and humidity have been correct during the hatch? If so, you need to candle the eggs. Even though you have been told not to open the incubator during lockdown, it is ok to open it to candle eggs if they have not externally pipped, as long as you close it right away and make sure the humidity stays where it should be.

If the temperature was too low or if you did not count the days right (the first day is day 0, so day 21 would be the same day of the week , three weeks after you set the eggs, you may give them another day, but in the meantime you may need to start reading the assisted hatching guide in this forum.

yes, this is the incubator i am using: https://alwaysdirect.com.au/new-upgraded-janoel-fully-automatic-24-eggs-incubator-pre-order.html
i went ahead and candled the eggs and they are all showing signs of life exept for one, though none have internally pipped.
I have a humidity reader in it and its at 60-80 in lockdown.
Never trust the readings on an incubator nor thermometer or hygrometer without verifying they are correct. I've never seen one that was exactly correct.

Incubators are notorious for not being well calibrated when it comes to temperature and humidity. It is a good idea to get a good thermometer and hygrometer and put them inside the incubator. There are posts on how to calibrate both in the forum.

Candle them again. If they have internally pipped, let them be. If not, as long as you are certain that they are on day 22, wait a few more hours, and then start helping.

i did hear chirping and saw an external pip from one of the eggs, when i come home from school hopefully it will have hatched. the other 8 eggs i hear nothing from

Back
Top Bottom