day 21.. no movement or pip. Should i see movement during candling?

thomp119

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
North Tustin, CA
Hello

New to the forum. I have a r-com 3 egg incubator with a candling scope. I started off with 3 eggs... two were not fertile and was left with only one. The development was great and my last candling on day 18 showed slight movement.

It was day 21 today at noon..... And there was no movement of the egg or pips. I candeled it briefly and saw no movement. Should I be worried?

Tips?

Welcome new member! Some of my eggs wait till the next day to hatch. Nothing to do, just let it do it's thing. Don't open the incubator & let the precious humidity out, as it could cause the chick to get stuck in the dryed up membrane. Have heard some say that they give them a couple of xtra days to start hatching. Also, when they pip the egg, that can take a few hours to zip out of the shell & even 12 or so hours to complete that. Patience! I know it's hard. Good luck with your hatch! Your incubator sounds neat.

I've done that before to see where we are at. You should be able to see movement, but it's not like they are moving constantly. With the egg in your hand, I'll tap it gentley to see if they move. But without that stimulation, you could just have a sleeping chick. Theoretically you can see them breathing (the membrane moves) once they pip internally, but that can be hard to see. And once they pip internally you can hear them peeping, and often if you peep at them, they'll peep back.

Just wait it out. My last set didn't even start until day 22.

Put it back and leave it alone until day 23!!

Possible issues:
--May have a genetic lethal gene that causes death in the shell.
--If temps are too low it may simply be delayed.
--You aren't gonna see a lot of movement with them packed in tight. Occasionally you might see a pip into the air cell but you shouldn't be looking at them at that stage any way.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Wow! I am shocked by the fast replies! Its comforting!

Additional info:

I candeled at day 4, 8, 13 and 18. Keep in mind that the special candeling scope on the rcom mini allows you to candlel the egg in the incubator without moving it from its spot in the incubator... you simply take off the clear viewing window and quickly add the candling lid/candler. It keeps the the temp and humidity constant...

In my short candling observation today the egg was never moved and the temp and humidity stayed the same. I just saw no movement inside of the egg. The air sac was developed on the big end....I was wondering if that is normal to see no movement? What does a dead chick look like?

My plan of action is to wait it out to 23 1/2..... if there is still no movement (rocking) or peeping.... I might crack it open (if I can bare to do it)

Hi im new to incubating and yesterday was day 20 and i swore i saw an egg wobble but today i seen no movement im using the egg carton hatch method , help me anyone please!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom