day 21 no peeps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poulet, May 4, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I had went away for a week during the second week of incubation and my DH was looking after things only I discovered that the humidity had been really low the whole time he had not filled up the water trough and it was dried out. I am now worried that this may cause them to be stuck as all the eggs were looking appropriatly developed on day 18. Do I do the big don't and open one ? The temp has not been low and I am on the end of day 21

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Too soon to open on day 21...give them til tomorow evening...

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I ma now on day 22 and I finally have 3 pips . So I would wait at least 2-3 more days...

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Mine start pipping late on day 21 and one of the eggs hatched today late on day 23. Give them some more time.

5. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    am just really stressy as the last hatch I had a chick that had peeped that I left as all the advice is to leave them and it died , I was really annoyed that I didn't help it so now I am stressing for theese eggs . I can see a couple moving and heard some chirping so there are at least some alive.
    Also double checked the calender and am actualy day 22 today not 21 and that is not counting the first day I put them in in the afternoon. [​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just leave them be. They need that struggle out of the shell to get their little muscles working, so don't intervene unless you see that they're starting to falter after pipping. The temps may have been a little low if you're just now seeing pips, but too low is probably better than too high.
    Good luck - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

7. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    My baby "Topaz" pipped at the end of day 22 and popped out in the morning of day 23!

So just be patient and anything can happen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by