Day 21 - Ohmy!!

One chick has hatched already!

But I'm very scared something is wrong O_O The yolk sac exploded recently and I'm wondering if it's okay, I'll attach a picture to show you how it looks at the moment! Is there something I can do????

What an awful day/24+! My chick pipped, zipped, the shell was totally clean .......she was on day 24 and when she got out of the shell .......this is exactly how she looked. She's hyper active and seriously is not in pain. We are at the point where it's dried up now. there's a blob hanging (small blob) from her naval. The membrane came off, the yolk busted when she stepped on it and it's gone now.........The opening on her naval is shrinking.....I'm keeping NS on it, no redness but the "stalk" part I am wondering if she's going to heal?? I almost euthanized her yesterday and DH says, maybe we should give her a little longer.....I gladly agreed because she's just so outgoing and doesn't act ill!!!!!!.......Her personality is something else. She's running around, preening off and on, drinking electrolytes and I gave her a mirror to keep her company for now. Ok, the hard part.............is there a chance this will fall off and heal with it still attached to the naval.........It's about the size of 1/3 of a pencil eraser now vs the size of a whole pencil eraser.....I'm keeping it covered in Neosporin and took this in between cleaning off her bum

If she is active, eating and drinking that is a gREAT sign,
thumbsup.gif
I have in fact seen spririted chicks survive this, and some pass, but typically that it is acting normal eating and drinking, it just may fall off and she will be fine, you are doing what you can for her, its in her hands now! You have it completely under control! well done, if she isnt going to be a breeder you dont have to cull her.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom