Day 21, one chick hatched yesterday. No pips on remaining eggs.

chickening

Hatching
Mar 27, 2022
So I'm worried about the first chick being in there for a long time with no other chicks. If they hatch today, she will have to spend another day in the incubator as I won't want to open the lid while others are pipping, and she's already been in there for 24 hours! All chicks are silkie crosses, small to medium-small eggs.

Chick #1 is: She hatched from one of the largest eggs. I know her dad is a Silkie, and (this is a guess based on chick's colour and egg size) her mom is a Silkie cross but a bit taller and more robust than a full Silkie, mom's eggs are still small but larger than full Silkie eggs. Chick #1 is fluffy, her umbilical cord etc. has all dried and fallen off, she alternates between napping and walking. She clambers over the other eggs and is very vocal :) Seems strong and healthy. She went from first pip to hatched within a couple of hours.

All other eggs: No movement, no signs of pipping. All were candled before lockdown and infertile eggs were discarded.

This is my first ever hatching experience so I'm stressed! Another thing, I have the incubator reading at 38 C but I put a hygrometer inside when I candled before lockdown and the hygrometer indicates the temp is only 34C, which from what I've read may prompt a later hatch. Humidity is 75%. It was 69-70% but went up when chick #1 hatched. Today is day 21, chick one hatched on day 20. Brooder is all set up and warm.

SO! Should I remove chick #1 before the others pip and put her in the brooder? OR, leave her in and if the others do pip today, let them all stay in overnight until tomorrow. I just worry about her being thirsty and alone in there :( And if the others are trying to get orientated but she keeps knocking them around, will that make pipping harder for them?

Thanks in advance from a nervous first mama!

I have a few times had to take a chick out mid-hatch. I carried the incubator into the bathroom, ran a hot shower until the room was warm and steamy, and snatched them out quickly.

Hopefully you get more chicks hatching. If not, you may need to get some at a farm store for company. Best of luck!

You can pop in and grab her, just get in and get out quickly. The steam bath isn't necessary if you keep the incubator open for less than 30 seconds. If you have help to operate the lid while you get the baby, that's even better. Leave the shell and just get her to her brooder.

You can pop in and grab her, just get in and get out quickly. The steam bath isn't necessary if you keep the incubator open for less than 30 seconds. If you have help to operate the lid while you get the baby, that's even better. Leave the shell and just get her to her brooder.
I have same issue one chic and cord is still attached .she us moving all other eggs and I hear no sound anymore.

Back
Top Bottom