Day 21 - So far - So good......One concern though.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducati, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Ducati

Ducati Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    I have 2 c h i c k s that dont seem to be progressing. They have pipped a decent size hole, stick their beak thru it every now and then, but dont seem to be catching on to the zip part.....

Should I worry about the hole and the c h i c k drying out, or will they pick up on the whole zipping part later????

2. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I bet they are resting. They should be ok.
    Chris

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Sometimes they are tired and stop for awhile, but sometimes they will not make it at all. This is just nature, if the chick is too weak it will die in the shell.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    How long have they been pipped? Sometimes it can take 12 to 24 hours before they hatch out. Hope this helps.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    probly just resting they say it can take 12-24 hours from pip to hatch

6. Ducati

Ducati Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    One started pipping 24 hours ago....

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I cant really give advice , on weather to help it or not, Hopefully its just being a slow poke.

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Sit on your hands, don't open the incubator and let what happens happen........ It's so very hard to do, huh?? Good luck!

[​IMG]

9. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:In my experience the chick can still hatch. If you are thinking about interveining you have to think about a few things. If you open your bator you will lose humitity that your other e g g s need to hatch. Also if the chick isn't hatching there may be something wrong with it. Mother nature has its on way to cull the weak. Some do help, others don't and if you do you chick may or may not make it. Hard choice I know. I have had it go both ways. Good luck, but I would give it more time.

Now you can tap on your bator and cheep to the e g g s, This will encourage them. That is what a mother hen does.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by