day 22 1/2 chick cracked shell a few hours ago, a piece fell, but no hole in membrane, is that ok

Loveoursilkies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
We have 2 little ones that hatched yesterday, another one started 1 1/2 days after the others, the shell is cracked, a piece fell, I heard him peep, but there is no hole in the membrane, the others put a hole in the shell and membrane at the same time. Is this ok? If it isn't ok, when would I be able to try to help. The membrane is white, humidity is great.

Thanks, still peeping, no hole in membrane yet, we are constantly watching and will all night if we need to, hole is about 1/2 the size of a penny, again, I'm referring to the piece of shell that dropped. I know all about vessels, etc. but just want to be prepared, in case. Thanks again, I'll be here, off and on, doing laundry, in between, watching New Year's stuff, Facebook, watching egg

We have 2 little ones that hatched yesterday, another one started 1 1/2 days after the others, the shell is cracked, a piece fell, I heard him peep, but there is no hole in the membrane, the others put a hole in the shell and membrane at the same time. Is this ok? If it isn't ok, when would I be able to try to help. The membrane is white, humidity is great.
this egg is well over 24 hours pipping?

No, I get confused on what is pip, can that mean only the shell and not through the membrane? This only happened sometime earlier today, but no progress, my worry was that my others ones "pipped" both through the shell and membrane. I just wanted to see if this is ok, before everyone goes to bed since it is late (not too late tonight though, since it is New Years). Thanks,

No, I get confused on what is pip, can that mean only the shell and not through the membrane? This only happened sometime earlier today, but no progress, my worry was that my others ones "pipped" both through the shell and membrane. I just wanted to see if this is ok, before everyone goes to bed since it is late (not too late tonight though, since it is New Years). Thanks,
First I need to make sure you are aware that there are two membranes, inner and outer..... in the pics below you can see the outer shell has a lining just inside the entire inside surface of the egg, and then there is another membrane in which the chick is growing... see the top of the chick at the lower point of the air cell? that is the inner membrane in which he pips first and then the pip is through the outer membrane and shell.... does that make sense? its important that if your chick pipped the "shell" you wait to assist the time stated in that article or what you feel comfortable with as I dont know the time frames. Everything I would tell you is in the article, first step is understanding the hatch and calming nerves... if its chirping and breathing its fine for now!!! Relax Breath and study up on assisting and when ONLY IF NEED BE IN YOUR SITUATION.... this is the paste from that article above.....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
Understanding The Hatching Process

Between the 15th and 16th days, the chick orients itself so that its head is near the air cell at the large end of the egg. Not long before the chick is ready to attempt to make its way out of the shell its neck acquires a double bend so that its beak is under its right wing and pointed toward the air cell.

21 DAYS is just a baseline for hatching eggs.
Many chicks can take 23 - 25 days!
Some pip internally and fully hatch in hours while others will be 24 hours or more.

Egg movement! Eggs can “Rock n Roll” days before they are due to hatch!

The initiation of hatch occurs partially from the increased carbon dioxide level in the egg. This process causes the embryo to begin twitching it's muscles allowing the inner shell membrane to be punctured by the egg tooth. The chick then begins breathing the air in the air cell. Using its egg tooth, it pecks at the shell thousands of times and after a few hours the chick pips a small hole through the shell and begins to breathe air directly from the outside. After the chick has made a hole in the shell, it stops pipping for 8+ hours sometimes up to 24 hours and rests.
During this time, it is acclimating its lungs.

After the resting stage is completed the second stage of pipping begins. The chick begins to turn slowly inside the egg. As the chick turns counter-clockwise it uses the cutting edge of the chick tooth to chip away. As the chick progresses in its movement around the shell, it begins pushing on the large air cell end of the egg. Squirming and struggling! YES STRUGGLING! The chick works feverishly pushing at the cap. Finally with a shove the chick breaks free from the shell wet and exhausted. When the chick is freed completely from the shell it lies still. Its energy has been virtually exhausted, and it is extremely tired. After resting the chick begins to gain more and more energy and coordination of its muscles.

embryo2.jpg

.http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_chicks_embryo.html

Last edited:
You have been very helpful (and so was that fantastic article on assisted hatch-I saved it to my favorites), it was the outer membrane that it didn't pip, but, I think, finally, it did, there is a tiny slit, I think. I know, the waiting is terrible, as I lost a ton of fully developed chicks on my first incubation, all died. I did tons wrong. This time I tried to listen and well, I've got 2 out of 8 and a 3rd if this one makes it and who knows, maybe more (we hope). The first 2 are doing great, eating, drinking, pooping, in a brooder I made. It took a lot of work and knowledge to get these to hatch in this LG incubator. I want a better one, but don't have the money yet. Thanks again for being there!

You have been very helpful (and so was that fantastic article on assisted hatch-I saved it to my favorites), it was the outer membrane that it didn't pip, but, I think, finally, it did, there is a tiny slit, I think. I know, the waiting is terrible, as I lost a ton of fully developed chicks on my first incubation, all died. I did tons wrong. This time I tried to listen and well, I've got 2 out of 8 and a 3rd if this one makes it and who knows, maybe more (we hope). The first 2 are doing great, eating, drinking, pooping, in a brooder I made. It took a lot of work and knowledge to get these to hatch in this LG incubator. I want a better one, but don't have the money yet. Thanks again for being there!
Of course!!! your welcome to come join the thread we hang in... we all help each other out with hatches and its nice that someone is always there!! its in my signature... come say hello and hang out with us!! oh DH and my daughter made an coolerbator its AWESOME and cheap and great hatch rates so far.... in the signature as well!

BTW you have a good humidity in that bator????

You can find me in: Incubating Diary-Notes Thread

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom