Day 22-Are they Dead?

WooHoo!!!
jumpy.gif

Congrats!!

your temp was probably just a little low.. so next batch just turn it up a little.

I have found digital thermometer are pretty inaccuate. I use a MERCURY thermometer.

Come on babies!!!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Henny Penny #1 :

2 have pipped!!
big_smile.png

Good luck with them! I currently have some I "think" fertile bantam eggs under a big broody BO. I'm hoping it will work. DH was given the eggs by his friend who has a farm and he insists they must be fertile, we'll see. We were originally going to put them in the incubator, but I had several broody hens to pick from, so I picked one that had just recently gone broody hoping she will have the stamina to stick with it. She is just a pullet (under a year old) so I'm hoping she knows what to do. I have a couple of bantam cochins that have been broody for what seems forever and I think I'm going to have to try and break them of this. I also have a broody Silkie and a broody Sizzle. Sure wish I could have a rooster so I could have my own fertile eggs since I have BROODIES GALORE! Oh, we need so much patience!
smile.png

Sorry to leave you hanging. I had one zip
woot.gif
: and one has pipped a little further, but is still working. I noticed another that pipped, but now there is no movement
sad.png
I think it must be gone.

I am a little concerned about the health of the chick that hatched though
hu.gif
it seems to be poorly fluffed after what has now been 6 hours and it seems kinda weak. Since I have never done this before i am not sure if this is normal, but my gut tells me it is not.
sad.png

Henny Penny #1 :

Second one just hatched!!
yippiechickie.gif

Congrats!!!

About the weak little one, sometimes they do look dreadful even after some time has passed but make it, anyway. I wish you the best!
smile.png

Henny Penny #1 :

Sorry to leave you hanging. I had one zip
woot.gif
: and one has pipped a little further, but is still working. I noticed another that pipped, but now there is no movement
sad.png
I think it must be gone.

I am a little concerned about the health of the chick that hatched though
hu.gif
it seems to be poorly fluffed after what has now been 6 hours and it seems kinda weak. Since I have never done this before i am not sure if this is normal, but my gut tells me it is not.
sad.png

clap.gif
Congrats on your chicks !!
woot.gif
With some chicks it takes a lot out of them to break out of the shell and they are exhausted. Give them time. It is normal for them to look like that. Once they dry their little feathers will fluff up.
jumpy.gif
Have Patience and DON"T open the incubator! What everyone was saying when I hatched my first batch was 'Sit on your hands" and just wait. Your doing great and your using a home made incubator
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom