Day 22, Heard Chirping Yesterday But Nothing Happening

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
Hey everyone. It's day 22, and yesterday afternoon I heard chirping. Today I see nothing happening and I'm freaking out. I have 1 egg from my own chickens, 1 white leghorn, and 7 OEGB eggs that were shipped. Should I make a safety hole?
Please help me!
Thanks.

I can. Will internally pipping look like the beak is in the air cell?
yep. you should see an obviously shadow in the air cell. If it was chirping yesterday, it means that it should have internally pipped. so watch for movement as well...
It won't hurt to make a safety hole.

Ultimately whether you assist or not will be your decision and responsibility. Some people prefer to let nature take its course rather than risk a sickly chick.

:idunno

yep. you should see an obviously shadow in the air cell. If it was chirping yesterday, it means that it should have internally pipped. so watch for movement as well...
It won't hurt to make a safety hole.

Ultimately whether you assist or not will be your decision and responsibility. Some people prefer to let nature take its course rather than risk a sickly chick.

:idunno
It’s still alive and chirping! I made the hole.

Ok, so it's been around two hours since I made the hole, how long do I give li'l Eggo until I help further?

Ok, so it's been around two hours since I made the hole, how long do I give li'l Eggo until I help further?
It sounds like she’s internally pipped since over 24 hours ago.

If concerned, you can enlarge the hole in the air cell until you can see what is going on. You can peel back the entire air cell area, but don’t go further than where the inner membrane meets the shell.

Coconut oil carefully applied on the inner membrane will prevent it from drying out. It will also make the inner membrane translucent so you can see how the chick is positions as well as whether there are any blood vessels left. If the vessels have not receded, the chick needs more time to absorb the yolk and is not ready to hatch.

Once you figure out what’s going on inside, you can decide how to proceed next

Use very clean tools...

Back
Top Bottom