Day 22 of incubation and no chicks yet???

KaitNicole

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Today marks day 22 of our incubation period and we have had only one egg start to crack just a little bit. Yesterday I saw a couple eggs rocking, but no pipping. I could hear peeps every now and then starting yesterday (day 21) but not very often. We candled before lockdown on day 18 and all but 7 of the eggs had chicks inside. We removed those 7 and are left with 35 eggs. I'm getting anxious and worried that I have not seen anymore activity other than the one single egg starting to pip. Is this normal?? Any help would be greatly appreciate :)

Try not to worry :hugs 21 days is just a guide and not set in stone. When did you start to count the days? The day you set as day 1 or 24 hours after you set? For example say you set the eggs on a Monday at 9am day 1 would be Tuesday at 9am day2 on Wednesday at 9am and so on.

Have your temps been steady through incubation? Sometimes slightly lower temps can cause a hatch to be delayed.

Today marks day 22 of our incubation period and we have had only one egg start to crack just a little bit. Yesterday I saw a couple eggs rocking, but no pipping. I could hear peeps every now and then starting yesterday (day 21) but not very often. We candled before lockdown on day 18 and all but 7 of the eggs had chicks inside. We removed those 7 and are left with 35 eggs. I'm getting anxious and worried that I have not seen anymore activity other than the one single egg starting to pip. Is this normal?? Any help would be greatly appreciate
smile.png
I agree with Yorksire about counting days and low temps. I will also add that in my 2 hatches this year, most action has been on day 22 and running into 23. It takes forever for the first hatch after that first pip. I'd be willing to bet that today and tomorrow will be action packed

That is my exact problem, I started counting on the day I set them. Thank you so much!! Quite a relief. This is our first time incubating so I'm one nervous wreck. Lol. I find myself checking on the incubator every 10 minutes. Any idea how long before I should expect that first chick to hatch now that it has starting pipping?

That is my exact problem, I started counting on the day I set them. Thank you so much!! Quite a relief. This is our first time incubating so I'm one nervous wreck. Lol. I find myself checking on the incubator every 10 minutes. Any idea how long before I should expect that first chick to hatch now that it has starting pipping?
First pip to first hatch on mine have been 12 and 16 hrs on my first two hatches this year

Thank you both so much! It's such a relief hearing that this is all pretty normal. I can't take my eyes off the incubator waiting for something to happen. I can guarantee I won't be very productive at anything else for the rest of the day.

Your not alone I locked down 15 polish last night and have been continually checking the incubator too!! Mine usually start pipping on day 19 and start hatching day 20 but no pips yet. Have eggs moving and have heard some peeps so someone has internally pipped ok. Hatching can be nerve wracking especially the first time but it does get slighly better the more you do. From pip to hatch can be any thing up to 24 hours. I've had some pip zip and hatch in 6 hours others pip to hatch 23 hours. Each chick is individual and every hatch different. Good luck!

Your not alone I locked down 15 polish last night and have been continually checking the incubator too!! Mine usually start pipping on day 19 and start hatching day 20 but no pips yet. Have eggs moving and have heard some peeps so someone has internally pipped ok. Hatching can be nerve wracking especially the first time but it does get slighly better the more you do. From pip to hatch can be any thing up to 24 hours. I've had some pip zip and hatch in 6 hours others pip to hatch 23 hours. Each chick is individual and every hatch different. Good luck!
I wasn't thinking about different breeds hatching at different times. My Polish usually hatch on day 21, but the Marans take their time

So it is now 9 hours since I discovered the one egg started to pip. Nothing has changed and no other pips from any other eggs. Is this still normal?

Back
Top Bottom