Day 22 of incubation and no chicks yet???

Quote: Wasn't trying to correct you,
big_smile.png
but the 102° temp seems to be a more common recommendation. I don't actually know what it should be, just that it needs to be more than 100°. You could be right about it being 101...

-Kathy

So this evening we decided to perform "eggtopsies" and it seems as though my entire incubation process was just fine, temp and humidity must have been ok, up until the very end because almost every egg had a fully formed chick inside, dead. Something at the end must have gone wrong, just have to figure out what that is. Will be trying again with eggs we've recently collected from our coop. Just plan on doing things a little differently the last few days.

A couple had almost absorbed all yolk, most had not. And a few had quite a bit of fluid. Only thing I can think was maybe there was a humidity issue at some point that I didn't catch.

I'm sorry to hear this turn of events, that must be difficult after so much time and energy is expended taking care of the little embryos. Please share what you find out so the rest of us can learn. I did read something about the air sac needing to be 25-30% size of the egg (http://www.shellspoultry.com/hatching-eggs.php), that too small of an air sac can deplete the oxygen they need while hatching. The article says humidity would affect this. I don't know, I'm setting my first batch right now.

A couple had almost absorbed all yolk, most had not. And a few had quite a bit of fluid. Only thing I can think was maybe there was a humidity issue at some point that I didn't catch.

Sounds like it was too high a humidity and too low a temp.

-Kathy

Last edited:
After my 1st one pipped yesterday around 6 pm I hadn't heard any more noise or movement since and it was at 7am this morning that finally more pipping and peeps came back with a lot of rocking and rolling so had I not read on this site it was normal I might have given up. I think some just need a little more rest after that initial pip than others.

This is quite an old thread. But I have to ask here because I have not figured out how to start a new one.
I’m positive that I’m on day 22. This morning at 10 am I heard a chirp in the incubator and some off and on since, but nothing now. I can’t see in there very well so I don’t know if there was any pipping. Should I wait overnight to see what happens?

This is quite an old thread. But I have to ask here because I have not figured out how to start a new one.
I’m positive that I’m on day 22. This morning at 10 am I heard a chirp in the incubator and some off and on since, but nothing now. I can’t see in there very well so I don’t know if there was any pipping. Should I wait overnight to see what happens?
I'm also new at this and coincidence has it my eggs are day 22. Some are rocking and others are not moving. I'm going to wait it out at least 2 more days to see what happens. This is my 6th batch I'm hatching but the first batch that seems very delayed. It's a waiting game and sometimes a disappointment. I lost all my previous batch. Humidity must have been incorrect as it was the only " difference" between that batch and previous batches.

People going overboard with humidity again....... come on folks, stop going overboard! Your chicks will hatch fine with lower humidity! Why risk drowning? Too late now.

Back
Top Bottom