Day 23 incubation. Ive made a terrible mistake

Jcsmiles

Hatching
Jun 13, 2023
Hi everyone. I'm new here and to chickens. We have 22 chickens on our farm.
I'm at day 23 incubation. I candeled and did a float test on one of the eggs.
Presumed dead I tried to open it to see what went wrong. Unfortunately it chirped at me. I feel terrible, it is still alive, I've put it back in the incubator.
Can it be saved?

Attachments

• 20230613_101428.jpg
    20230613_101428.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 13,598
Hi everyone. I'm new here and to chickens. We have 22 chickens on our farm.
Presumed dead I tried to open it to see what went wrong. Unfortunately it chirped at me. I feel terrible, it is still alive, I've put it back in the incubator.
Can it be saved?
Possibly. Just depends on if it lost a lot of blood and if it ends up hatching before it's yolk is finished being absorbed

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

The float test is crud, imo.

What's your temperature and humidity level now and where were they during incubation? Did you use calibrated hygrometer/thermometer? What bator are you using?

In theory.. if it's chirping at you then it may have been internally pipped already.. we can usually hear them chirping through the shell before external pip.. but if it was still inside the membrane.. that should not be the case as they wouldn't be breathing air yet.

:fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

The float test is crud, imo.

What's your temperature and humidity level now and where were they during incubation? Did you use calibrated hygrometer/thermometer? What bator are you using?

In theory.. if it's chirping at you then it may have been internally pipped already.. we can usually hear them chirping through the shell before external pip.. but if it was still inside the membrane.. that should not be the case as they wouldn't be breathing air yet.

:fl
Hi. My incubator is just a cheap Amazon special. Temp is reading 37.5 and humidity has been a challenge. 65 to 72.
There looks like alot of blood for such a little thing to lose. I feel terrible.

Back
Top Bottom