Day 23 of Incubation all but 4 hatched.. cracked open FIND LIVE BABY!!

BKlipstine1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Its Day 23 and 6 of my 10 chicks hatched.... I thought for sure 2 of them died early on so we carefully put and pin hole in them and then picked away... sure enough they looked as though they got to maybe day 7ish..... thankful they didnt explode earlier!!! so we candled the remaining 2 which looked exactly the same as the 2 we just opened.... i made the small pin hole again and as i started chipping away Got through the air sac just the same as the 2 before and what do i hear..... chirping!!!! now i have a half exposed baby.... seems to be shrink wrapped in the membrane ... hes popped the shell off half his body and cant get loose..... ive left him in the bator for 4 hours now and still no change... slight bleeding from shell in one spot.... not sure whether i should just get him out since hes past due or let him do it on his own???? i feel AWFUL ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP!!!!

I had that happen to me too. The first time the chick had splayed legs and died. The second one is fine. I used a heat lamp and warm water and kept is warm in my hand and carefully pulled the shell off and picked the stuck membrane off. I decided after leaving the first one for a day that I would not leave them that long again. I put him back in the hatcher to dry off really well after we dried him with a paper towel. I think some have thicker membranes and have a harder time.

109150_img_1166.jpg

ive never seen ANYTHING like this.. he's been picking away at shell and membrane for 4 hours but he cant move the back side... its bleeding slightly at the edge of his bottom and above wing... should i just leave him like this over night????

From the picture I don't think it's shrink wrapped, since the membrane is broken.
I had a chick hatch on Tuesday on day 23 (the bulb had blown and it was down to 80* for a couple hours so they all hatched late) and it didn't really zip, it kind of opened up a big hole in the side of the shell and wormed its way out... the membrane seemed thick and it wasn't clear and it looked a lot like your picture. I think I've read that it can take up to a full day for them to hatch sometimes, so I don't think I would worry about it taking 4 hours. Of course, I am definitely not an expert seeing as I've only hatched chicks once very recently.
The bleeding could be from a vein in the egg? I think that if they don't pip into the air sac then they can pip through a vein in the egg shell or something? Maybe when you opened the egg up you hit a vein. A couple of mine had some random blood when they hatched, and as I said they are doing just fine now.
I would leave it overnight, I don't think you should try and help it any more because it doesn't seem shrink wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom