day 23 with no sign of hatching

econerd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
UK
I've got some bantam eggs under a broody hen, and they were due to hatch on monday. I candled yesterday and it was moving quite a bit, looked like the head was towards the air sack, which is now quite big, but couldn't see any internal pipping, but not sure what I'm looking for. do I put a hole in the shell to help it out as I don't want to loose it, and I think its the only one out of the 6 that will hatch.

the hen is still diligently sitting on the nest and not letting me see the eggs, gets up very rarely.

Last edited:
update: I can hear it peeping inside the egg! looks like its on its way, no external pip yet that I can see. will update and get photos when I can

its pipped externally, just, so should be here by tomorrow fingers crossed

defiantly keep me updated I've got chicks due tomorrow fingers crossed
fl.gif

it hatched around 11 last night, really easy hatch, pretty quick. its now huddling under mum and refusing to come out for it pics, I'm waiting for her to decide she doesn't need to sit any more and leave the nest.

I can do better, I got a vid of it.

the other three were scrambled

Last edited:
That chick is so cute! I'm glad it hatched ok.

Just so you know, newspaper makes for a slick surface and can cause injuries in young chicks. You should consider putting bedding down, whatever you were using in your nest boxes. Shavings, straw, that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom