Day 23

Ang

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
West Central Illinois
Day 23 and I thought all was lost. I woke up to a pip this morning. 1 out of 20 is a terrible hatch rate. But for my first try I am happy that something is hatching! The little thing is starting to zip now. Love being able to watch this!

She's out! I managed to video her (notice the optimism) kicking out of the shell. So very cool. Do chicks normally have an umbilical? This one seems to so I was wondering if that is normal.

I think that the hatch rate was so crummy because I am using an LG and I had a hard time keeping the temperature regulated. I am just borrowing it. When I buy my own it won't be an LG.

Congrats!!!! I have an LG too and they take a little getting used to. Same thing with your thermometers - you have to have some good hatches and some bad hatches to figure out what your correct settings should be. If you only had one hatch at it was at day 23, my guess is your temps were too low.

Yes, the umbilical thingy is normal. It will dry up and fall off. Sometimes their yolk sac doesn't absorb all the way and you'll see that too. It'll also usually dry up and be fine.

Congrats on your first time - it will be better next time though! Keep notes...

Back
Top Bottom