Day 24 And no pipping. Chick seems to be alive.. What should I do? What should I look for?

Sadly the chicken egg is in fact dead. I am throwing it out in a zip lock bag.
I'm sorry, I know it is super dissapointing to have a hatch fail, but trust me, it's better to find out sooner rather than later! Would we be able to see a photo of the duck egg candled? We can let you know if it's still developing or not. Next time I'd really recommend getting an incubator to hatch in, it's far easier to control temp and humidity- and makes the experience much more successful. You can find some incubators pretty cheap, either with a simple model or find them second hand. :hugs

I'm sorry, I know it is super dissapointing to have a hatch fail, but trust me, it's better to find out sooner rather than later! Would we be able to see a photo of the duck egg candled? We can let you know if it's still developing or not. Next time I'd really recommend getting an incubator to hatch in, it's far easier to control temp and humidity- and makes the experience much more successful. You can find some incubators pretty cheap, either with a simple model or find them second hand. :hugs
I did want to get an incubator, but unfortunatley my stepdad threatened to kill both eggs if i did so, since he wanted them to die. I still live with my parents so it is difficult.

I did want to get an incubator, but unfortunatley my stepdad threatened to kill both eggs if i did so, since he wanted them to die. I still live with my parents so it is difficult.
If that's how he feels, what would happen once they'd hatched? Do you keep chickens or ducks or did you buy the eggs someplace?

Did you manage to get a picture of the duck egg being candled?

If that's how he feels, what would happen once they'd hatched? Do you keep chickens or ducks or did you buy the eggs someplace?

Did you manage to get a picture of the duck egg being candled?
I got the eggs from a ranch I work at. Sorry about dissapearing I got caught up in my job and schoolwork :)

I have a very happy update on the duck egg but I don't want to jynx anything so I will wait the next week or so but I am esthatic. Honestly the death of the chicken egg made me want to cry, but this little sign did raise my spirits some. I'll keep you guys updated if the good things continue.

I got the eggs from a ranch I work at. Sorry about dissapearing I got caught up in my job and schoolwork :)

I have a very happy update on the duck egg but I don't want to jynx anything so I will wait the next week or so but I am esthatic. Honestly the death of the chicken egg made me want to cry, but this little sign did raise my spirits some. I'll keep you guys updated if the good things continue.
okay, keep us updated!

okay, keep us updated!
Here is a little update. After r e l i g o u s l y praying and hopingwhich is something i don't do often because of issues with religion ahah, but i am childish at times ,, and watching this egg, there is now a bruise spot on the bottom and a little scratch. The 'yolk' seems to have penitrated a part of the air sack, looking something like this
1647888590579.png
We are on day 30 now. thereis also a scratch at the eggs surface.

Here is a little update. After r e l i g o u s l y praying and hopingwhich is something i don't do often because of issues with religion ahah, but i am childish at times ,, and watching this egg, there is now a bruise spot on the bottom and a little scratch. The 'yolk' seems to have penitrated a part of the air sack, looking something like this View attachment 3032372 We are on day 30 now. thereis also a scratch at the eggs surface.
that image looks like an internal pip, do you hear any chirps or taps from the egg? When you last candled it, was the egg full and dark or did the light shine through? Did you see movement?
Could you take a photo of the bruise? (without disturbing the egg since it should be in lockdown)

I could maybe take a photo, since i do not have an incubator and don't want the egg to get too cold i did wrap it in some clothing to sheild it from the window side of the tank its in (it is on a heating pad) Some light did 'shine' I will admit, but it only showed the mass. the egg does move though which is a good sign.

I could maybe take a photo, since i do not have an incubator and don't want the egg to get too cold i did wrap it in some clothing to sheild it from the window side of the tank its in (it is on a heating pad) Some light did 'shine' I will admit, but it only showed the mass. the egg does move though which is a good sign.
Is there any chance you could take a photo of candling the egg, without turning the egg or moving it too much? You'll have to be careful, if you can, perhaps candle it inside of the homemade incubator without moving the egg at all- and take a photo-
It would really help here to see what you can see. Since the egg is on a heat matt, in this situation its possible the egg is a little on the cool side and will develop slower, so don't worry too much about being on day 30... Although, is this a Mallard type duck egg? Do you know the breed? Muscovy take longer.

Back
Top Bottom