Day 24 & Not One Pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carniven, Apr 14, 2009.

1. carniven

carniven Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I purchased six Big Buff Orpington hatching eggs and not one has hatched. It's now Day 24 and no sign of anything happening. They've been in the Hovabator at 99-100 degrees. Humidity was between 50 & 65 through Day 18, then 75+ since. Should I give up and try again? We're all so disappointed.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Were they shipped eggs? Might be the PO was too rough on them. That humidity was a bit higher than i usually go with, but i am no expert on it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Sorry to hear about the unsuccessful hatch. I recently had to bury the entire contents of my incubator also. When was the last time you candled and there appeared to be movement? With mine they were fine on day 16, showed no movement on day 18 and none hatched. I think I had a bad temp spike or serious humidity problem on day 17. Good luck figuring out what the problem is. If you are going to crack the eggs to autopsy I'd reccomend doing it outside. Sometimes it helps to figure out how far they did make it in order to adjust for the next hatch.

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    It may have been the incubator. I borrowed a hovabator and set 25 fresh eggs of my own. Had the temp. right and water in bottom.
    I ended up with only 3 hatched with deformities..... I broke open other eggs and looks like 5 infertile's and the rest were quitters part way thru development.....

I also set up my Browers Top Hatch and out of 30 eggs I got 22 perfectly healthy chicks,4 infertile and 4 quitters. I will never use a hovabator again...

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    OH. I recently had a similar problem. I heard peeps on day 21, but by day 23 none had hatched. I opened them all up and all had died in the shell; most were fully formed, just never pipped.

I don't know what the problem was, and I currently have another dozen in the hatcher, so sure hope they do better.

Did you open up any of the eggs?

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Could be numerous things. Tuffoldhen recommended to me re humidity for days 1-18 = 40-50% & then days 19-21 = 60-70%. Stay on the low side of the scale for each percentage listed if possible. If this is your 1st hatch with this bator you may need to try a few times to get things set and running properly. So sorry your eggs didn't hatch. [​IMG]

7. carniven

carniven Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I finally gave in last night and broke open an egg and then another and another until all were open. It looked like two were fertile but died very early on. This was my first attempt at incubating. Maybe it was the handling in shipping or something I did wrong; but the next time I try (hopefully very soon) I'd like to find someone on Cape Cod who can sell me some fertile Buff Orpington eggs so the shipping theory can at least be eliminated. If you know of anyone on the Cape, please let me know.

Thanks to all for your replies.

8. geeperspeepers

geeperspeepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    check out the post I just put up

Day 24 Emergency hatch

gp

9. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I bought buff orpington eggs from Jody (hinkjc) and got 11 babies. They shipped from Pennsylvania to Texas. Try her.

10. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    when opening chicks dead in the shell
    remember this
    lookto see if chicks fully formed are wet?
    this is too much humidity

look see if fully formed chicks are dead and sticky dry
    this is not enough humidity
    sorry you lost all those eggs and chicks

You should go to
    http://www.poultryconnection.com
    go on egg bid or what ever they call their selling boards
    advertise free one time on the sale page about needing eggs they don't allow ads on the poultry forum
    there is several from your area
    a lot of people have maran eggs on

[email protected]

they have alot of these breeders
    give them a look ad ask them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by