Day 25 Chicken Eggs Still Not Hatched!

chickens802

Chirping
May 31, 2021
Vermont
I have a first-time broody hen sitting on 4 eggs. She when broody around February 13th and I gave her eggs on February 23rd. The expected hatch date (21 days) was last Wednesday, March 16th. On day 23, Saturday, March 19th I candled the eggs. One egg had definite movement. Two others had no movement that I could see. They all had the air cell, then a pretty much solid dark blob throughout the rest of the egg, I could see veins on all. The last egg one I thought might be cracked had an air cell than a less solid blob with lighter spots. Is it safe to say that the last one is no good and should be thrown? I also didn't see any pipping. This is my second time candling eggs so I don't know much but I have watched a few youtube videos and read a lot here on BYC. I think that the 3 "good eggs" had larger air cells than they should've...

When should I expect hatch? Why do you think it is taking so long? Should I candle again? A thought has just now occurred to me, was it bad for me to mess with the eggs if they are close to hatch. I have read a little bit about shrinkwrapping when the humidity changes in an incubator near hatch time. Could this happen when I take the eggs out from under her? Also, will it mess them up if I turned them when they were in a hatching position?

Right now Momma is sitting in a nest box in the coop, it is a considerably high nest box but I let her sit there because none of the others care for that box. I was planning to move her the first night that all chicks are hatched. I build a brooder space in the coop under the nest boxes (pic below). It is not overly big so I think I plan only keeping her and the chicks in there for the first week or so until babies a strong but if you have advice on that too I would be grateful.

I was wondering if I could still add some chicks under her once the others hatch especially if its only one that hatches. I have some chicks that hatched in the incubator about on the 16th, almost a week ago now, but I don't know how old they will be on the actual hatch. Do you think I could still integrate the older chicks in with the younger one?

CB1F9A08-3837-460E-92B5-8D391B52E865.jpeg

Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading! Any advice is extremely appreciated!

Last edited:
Update: I candled again last night and there was movement in two of the eggs. On one I could even hear chirping. Pic below, is that internal pip? Today is day 28.
A9459002-646F-4227-B4C0-8611BC70FC88.jpeg

Last edited:
No. A day later there where no signs life so that night I carefully cracked them open and they where both fully developed but dead. One was internally pip and the other was not.
I’m so sorry. I think thats what going on with mines. It’s day 23 and none of my 6 has hatched. I thought I did everything right with incubation, but I ordered them from a farm online and believe they were old eggs. I’m going to crack them open tomorrow to figure out what happened. Learn some lessons for the next time.

Back
Top Bottom