Day 29 and nothing..

@DiamondSwan
I candled some of the eggs, from what I can tell there are a few that are close to hatching date and some that still have maybe 1 1/2 - 2 weeks left and then there are some that I think just went bad. I didn't candle all of them but that's what it's looking like.

Ah. There are different stages in the incubation process that you're supposed to check for viability and throw out any bad eggs. When did you candle last? Rotten eggs can explode or ooze and contaminate the other eggs. :sick

Ummmm like two days ago.

@DiamondSwan
I candled some of the eggs, from what I can tell there are a few that are close to hatching date and some that still have maybe 1 1/2 - 2 weeks left and then there are some that I think just went bad. I didn't candle all of them but that's what it's looking like.

Did your ducks start sitting on all of the eggs together, or did they sit on them before they finished laying some? That could explain the late hatching. The ones that look like they have 2 weeks left are probably bad, and the rotten ones probably went bad earlier on and that's why they are a dark color. Was there any movement in any of the eggs?

Did your ducks start sitting on all of the eggs together, or did they sit on them before they finished laying some? That could explain the late hatching. The ones that look like they have 2 weeks left are probably bad, and the rotten ones probably went bad earlier on and that's why they are a dark color. Was there any movement in any of the eggs?

What happened was Martha started to sit and lily didn't until recently so Lily was still laying in the beginning and Martha was taking them and sitting on them. Then Lily went broody so she also stopped laying so there are eggs at different stages of incubation. The ones I candled that looked like they had about two weeks left were very active so if she pulls through and waits the other two weeks I feel those might make it.

What happened was Martha started to sit and lily didn't until recently so Lily was still laying in the beginning and Martha was taking them and sitting on them. Then Lily went broody so she also stopped laying so there are eggs at different stages of incubation. The ones I candled that looked like they had about two weeks left were very active so if she pulls through and waits the other two weeks I feel those might make it.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. So you think the ones that were ready to hatch didn't make it? And how many do you think are alive still? After 48 hours of the hatch date your supposed to throw any eggs out that didn't hatch. What day would this be? :)

Ah, ok. That makes sense. So you think the ones that were ready to hatch didn't make it? And how many do you think are alive still? After 48 hours of the hatch date your supposed to throw any eggs out that didn't hatch. What day would this be? :)

Yeah. Um today would be day 31 for the oldest ones.

Yeah. Um today would be day 31 for the oldest ones.

Yeah, they probably didn't make it.

Read this, especially the part at the bottom: http://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm

This is a good one too: http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

Back
Top Bottom