Day 30- No Pip; Duck eggs

I have to disagree about that.
Yes we know you disagree ... you've mentioned multiple times you disagree. Sorry you had a bad experience but that was just your experience and i'm betting it was only one time. That is your opinion, others have stated there opinion and given advice based on their own experiences. It's not necessary to try and put the fear in others.

This is nature, the mumma duck doesn't do a lock down, the eggs are subjected to air, temperature changes and humidity fluctuations and the eggs still hatch. A few seconds of opening the lid isn't going to make that much of a difference. Incubators only 'try' to emulate the hatching process, the directions are guidelines not laws. Science isn't absolute and every hatching scenario is different.

Yes we know you disagree ... you've mentioned multiple times you disagree. Sorry you had a bad experience but that was just your experience and i'm betting it was only one time. That is your opinion, others have stated there opinion and given advice based on their own experiences. It's not necessary to try and put the fear in others.

This is nature, the mumma duck doesn't do a lock down, the eggs are subjected to air, temperature changes and humidity fluctuations and the eggs still hatch. A few seconds of opening the lid isn't going to make that much of a difference. Incubators only 'try' to emulate the hatching process, the directions are guidelines not laws. Science isn't absolute and every hatching scenario is different.
Yes every scenario is different. I have hatched a couple hundred of different types of eggs so I guess my years of experience are useless.
The only time we have had issues with eggs pipping and not hatching was when the incubator was opened during lock down.
If the humidity is allowed to decrease after the chick pips the shell, the membranes within the shell can dry-out and stick to the chick. I just had this happen last week while hatching 55 quail and had to assist the bird and clean the stuck on membrane from the feathers. This prevents the chick from turning inside the shell and stops the hatching process. The chick eventually dies. If the membranes around the shell opening appear dried and shrunken, the cause is probably low humidity during hatching. This condition can occur quickly (within 1 or 2 minutes) when the incubator is opened to remove or assist other chicks that are hatching which is what happened to ours. We had thought they were all done hatching and a few were not. When hatching begins and proper incubator conditions are attained, the incubator should never be opened until after all chicks are hatched and ready for placement in the brooder.

Yes every scenario is different. I have hatched a couple hundred of different types of eggs so I guess my years of experience are useless.
The only time we have had issues with eggs pipping and not hatching was when the incubator was opened during lock down.
If the humidity is allowed to decrease after the chick pips the shell, the membranes within the shell can dry-out and stick to the chick. I just had this happen last week while hatching 55 quail and had to assist the bird and clean the stuck on membrane from the feathers. This prevents the chick from turning inside the shell and stops the hatching process. The chick eventually dies. If the membranes around the shell opening appear dried and shrunken, the cause is probably low humidity during hatching. This condition can occur quickly (within 1 or 2 minutes) when the incubator is opened to remove or assist other chicks that are hatching which is what happened to ours. We had thought they were all done hatching and a few were not. When hatching begins and proper incubator conditions are attained, the incubator should never be opened until after all chicks are hatched and ready for placement in the brooder.
If it drops that low that quickly i'm thinking it was too low too begin with. I've in my years of experience never had a membrane issue and i've opened the incubator in situations that required it but never longer than needing too. The humidity never drops more than a point or 2 and raises back up quickly. My last hatch (last weekend) started externally pipping before lockdown (day 23 to be precise) and i had to open it to take the turner out. I opened it, took it out, misted and closed it. All successfully hatched with no issues.

You've stated your experience with quail. My experience is all with ducks. Do you have experience with ducks? I don't know much about quail but is it possible that the two are not equal in hatching requirements and sensitivities?

If it drops that low that quickly i'm thinking it was too low too begin with. I've in my years of experience never had a membrane issue and i've opened the incubator in situations that required it but never longer than needing too. The humidity never drops more than a point or 2 and raises back up quickly. My last hatch (last weekend) started externally pipping before lockdown (day 23 to be precise) and i had to open it to take the turner out. I opened it, took it out, misted and closed it. All successfully hatched with no issues.

You've stated your experience with quail. My experience is all with ducks. Do you have experience with ducks? I don't know much about quail but is it possible that the two are not equal in hatching requirements and sensitivities?
My experience last week was with quail. We have hatched different types of chickens, many types of quail and guineas. I believe it also has to do with the incubator. Door incubators don’t lose humidity like the dome lid incubators. The harvest incubator can drop by 20% in a quick opening from my experience with this specific incubator.
Do you use this incubator?

My experience last week was with quail. We have hatched different types of chickens, many types of quail and guineas. I believe it also has to do with the incubator. Door incubators don’t lose humidity like the dome lid incubators. The harvest incubator can drop by 20% in a quick opening from my experience with this specific incubator.
Do you use this incubator?

No, i use a cheap dome incubator i bought on amazon. I've found that just because you spend a lot on them doesn't make them any more successful than the cheaper ones. Incubator does make a huge difference though, i agree. I think it's important to know your incubator and what conditions you need around it for it to be optimal. I always do a run in mine when i get a new one for an entire incubation period before doing one with eggs. Then i know if its having issues holding temp and humidity, how to fix these issues and what i can and cannot do throughout the process. It's not an exact science because obviously having eggs in it makes a difference but any major issues can be combatted without affecting any young.

I didn't see it mentioned but what type of duck are they? Muscovies take a few days longer than Mallard-related ducks iirc.

For what it's worth, I've always used a Nurture Right 360 myself and have successfully incubated and hatched a few of a clutch of duck eggs that their mother couldn't finish brooding too. Even with opening the incubator a few times during an extended lockdown to check on them, because they were going longer than what I expected. I think the interruption with their circumstances may have just slowed their development a bit, but they turned out fine.

If you need to boost humidity after opening the incubator, you can add a bit of warm water to the reservoir, or put something like a small sponge or balled up paper towel wet with warm water onto the tray with the eggs. (Just make sure it's nothing with threads or anything that ducklings could eat).

Hoping for the best for your ducklings too! And whatever happens, know that you gave them the best chance.

I didn't see it mentioned but what type of duck are they? Muscovies take a few days longer than Mallard-related ducks iirc.

For what it's worth, I've always used a Nurture Right 360 myself and have successfully incubated and hatched a few of a clutch of duck eggs that their mother couldn't finish brooding too. Even with opening the incubator a few times during an extended lockdown to check on them, because they were going longer than what I expected. I think the interruption with their circumstances may have just slowed their development a bit, but they turned out fine.

If you need to boost humidity after opening the incubator, you can add a bit of warm water to the reservoir, or put something like a small sponge or balled up paper towel wet with warm water onto the tray with the eggs. (Just make sure it's nothing with threads or anything that ducklings could eat).

Hoping for the best for your ducklings too! And whatever happens, know that you gave them the best chance.
Thank you for the advice!
They are Indian Runner ducks! :)
How high is too much humidity? Totally new to the hatching game. lol We've just started that this year. One momma hatched a duck & chick this year.
Next broody, half way through put a knick in her chicken egg. Came out next morn & she had busted/eaten some of it. And she was basically done. Hence the machine. Before that she was pretty good on sitting. (Not as good as the previous though.)

We have one successful hatchling already! Came out last night.
The two other look like they've internally pipped. (The one that used to be viable, died. Not sure but the egg had a slight crack from the chicken. Read something on bruising? Idk.)

Ok one has hatched last night!!

Question: Can we remove that duckling this evening to a brooder?? Because it is moving the 2 other viable eggs all around when scooting around.
Is that okay? I know they say they can last 3 days without food & water in there. But idk if it'd be okay to remove it early.

Back
Top Bottom