Day 30- No Pip; Duck eggs

Ok one has hatched last night!!

Question: Can we remove that duckling this evening to a brooder?? Because it is moving the 2 other viable eggs all around when scooting around.
Is that okay? I know they say they can last 3 days without food & water in there. But idk if it'd be okay to remove it early.
🎉 Hooray for the little one!

I've had that issue before too with the first one out playing soccer with the rest of the eggs haha. But iirc it's still best to keep them in the incubator for 12-24 hours. And preferably until a second duckling hatches, because a single duckling will have a harder time staying warm in a brooder without a buddy.

My experience last week was with quail. We have hatched different types of chickens, many types of quail and guineas. I believe it also has to do with the incubator. Door incubators don’t lose humidity like the dome lid incubators. The harvest incubator can drop by 20% in a quick opening from my experience with this specific incubator.
Do you use this incubator?
Mother birds don't hatch eggs in humidity controlled incubators in the wild. They are right out in the wild air.

🎉 Hooray for the little one!

I've had that issue before too with the first one out playing soccer with the rest of the eggs haha. But iirc it's still best to keep them in the incubator for 12-24 hours. And preferably until a second duckling hatches, because a single duckling will have a harder time staying warm in a brooder without a buddy.
So far the other 2 have pipped also! So just waiting.
Maybe can move them all to brooder tomorrow. Because the one duckling is wanting us to hold it. lol It's imprinted on us I'm assuming.

So we lost one duckling. Died in the shell.
Ugh.

All I can figure is the one that’s hatched pinned it because it was using them as a cuddle pillow.
Trying to encourage the other that’s still alive.

When I should I try to assist?!

So we lost one duckling. Died in the shell.
Ugh.

All I can figure is the one that’s hatched pinned it because it was using them as a cuddle pillow.
Trying to encourage the other that’s still alive.

When I should I try to assist?!
Sorry for the late comment and so sorry to hear that one didn't make it. :( I hope the others are doing okay.

If it drops that low that quickly i'm thinking it was too low too begin with. I've in my years of experience never had a membrane issue and i've opened the incubator in situations that required it but never longer than needing too. The humidity never drops more than a point or 2 and raises back up quickly. My last hatch (last weekend) started externally pipping before lockdown (day 23 to be precise) and i had to open it to take the turner out. I opened it, took it out, misted and closed it. All successfully hatched with no issues.

You've stated your experience with quail. My experience is all with ducks. Do you have experience with ducks? I don't know much about quail but is it possible that the two are not equal in hatching requirements and sensitivities?
I’m headed out to take care of my horses and don’t have time to read the whole back and forth on this between you two / other posters rn
Please forgive that
But. I’ve also found myself in the midst of my first -assistance needed- hatch in the last day or so.
Long enough story for a different thread but I’m learning a ton as I go.
So. Question.
Do you mist your eggs every time you have to crack your lockdown bator?
Could that possibly be the difference between your situation and the person who had a less successful outcome?
I’d think misting with water as close to the temp in the bator would be desirable- is that your process?
Ignore my questions if they have already been answered in this thread.
I’ll look back once my horses, and other critters are all tucked into bed 😉
I’m trying to learn as much as I possibly can about what works for who- as I try to become more adept at hatching turkey and duck eggs.... maybe some geese in the future....? Don’t really want to diversify beyond that 🙃

I’m headed out to take care of my horses and don’t have time to read the whole back and forth on this between you two / other posters rn
Please forgive that
But. I’ve also found myself in the midst of my first -assistance needed- hatch in the last day or so.
Long enough story for a different thread but I’m learning a ton as I go.
So. Question.
Do you mist your eggs every time you have to crack your lockdown bator?
Could that possibly be the difference between your situation and the person who had a less successful outcome?
I’d think misting with water as close to the temp in the bator would be desirable- is that your process?
Ignore my questions if they have already been answered in this thread.
I’ll look back once my horses, and other critters are all tucked into bed 😉
I’m trying to learn as much as I possibly can about what works for who- as I try to become more adept at hatching turkey and duck eggs.... maybe some geese in the future....? Don’t really want to diversify beyond that 🙃
Depends on how long i've had to open it. If its just a quick second no, if its a little longer then yes.

Back
Top Bottom