Day 4 in the mail... will they survive?

This is for chicks, but the same applies.
"We recommend for the 1st day to have the drinking water at 98 degrees (or very warm). The birds are small with little weight on them upon arrival. They will drink a lot of water, which if too cool, will rapidly reduce their body temperature, put them into shock and make them sick."
Source:
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/chick-care-instructions

I have seen what happens if a duckling guzzles too much much water that's not warm enough, and it's not a pretty site. :(

It’s 4 degrees and snowing. I will be shocked if these babies are alive tomorrow morning. I do have everything set up and ready to go. I might have to sit with them by the fire to get them warmed up if they are alive when I get them.

Ok so the situation sucks- but make sure you don't blame yourself here. You can play what-ifs all day long "what if I didn't order them, they'd be alive now", etc. Literally you have absolutely nothing you can do until they arrive. So as others with good knowledge have said have some water water ready to go... but if they arrive dead or in terrible shape, do the best you can do and keep your head up because this is not your fault.

It’s 4 degrees and snowing. I will be shocked if these babies are alive tomorrow morning. I do have everything set up and ready to go. I might have to sit with them by the fire to get them warmed up if they are alive when I get them.
Try to stay positive. Postal companies deal with chicks and ducklings more than you may think. Can't wait to see pictures!!

Back
Top Bottom