Day 5 candle- first time attempting to hatch

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
I have 6 eggs going in my incubator, first time attempting to hatch eggs. 4 out of 6 of the eggs are dark and could not see anything when I tried to candle but these two I could see inside. It doesn’t look good. Can you confirm if I should remove these two? Any tips on the dark eggs?
536DFA60-5717-4F3E-9525-87E85646B81A.jpeg

Attachments

• C8E24F89-2FC0-4B6B-A10C-8FA01FA2BE21.jpeg
    C8E24F89-2FC0-4B6B-A10C-8FA01FA2BE21.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 4
You need to candle them in complete darkness to be able to see inside, especially if they are brown or green/blue eggs. Bring them into a dark room or wait until it is night to candle. Don't be too concerned if you don't see anything yet until day 10.

2x ... Candling usually day 7, then day 14, last day 18/lockdown. Try candling again in a dark closet with the doors closed and a bright LED flashlight.

What incubator are you using? Do you have a separate hydrometer to check the humidity and temp? Did you run the incubator prior to setting the eggs? What's the temp and humidity set?

its hard for me tell much on anything but white eggs at day 5, i usually wait till 10, but, if you start early and take note of the yolk mass, generally by 10, its enlarging to a larger darker mass if its developing ... its after that, that it becomes hard for me on darker shelled eggs to actually see movement or signs theyre doing ok, if they go solid dark near lockdown time thats a good sign, but basically just wait for a pip ..
.. on your eggs specifically, its too bright to see much, but i wouldnt expect to see a mass that large and stationary on a day5 egg .. now there are scenarios where an egg has 'pre-started' before you actually incubated, especially if weather is warm, so .. to avoid that i collect daily and try to keep collection time under 5 days, you can tighten it up more by putting them straight in the fridge but i think it reduces viability percentage slightly ..

2x ... Candling usually day 7, then day 14, last day 18/lockdown. Try candling again in a dark closet with the doors closed and a bright LED flashlight.

What incubator are you using? Do you have a separate hydrometer to check the humidity and temp? Did you run the incubator prior to setting the eggs? What's the temp and humidity set?

KEBONNIXS Is the brand, it had good reviews on Amazon but seems like a no name brand.​

Temp is 99.9 about 45-48% humidity. I did have it running about 3-4 hours before putting the eggs in.
The humidity has been fluctuating a bit it gets dry in my house from heating with wood

Back
Top Bottom