Day 6 in a JN12 incubator

sharonmc2002

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2016
SETN
First timer here. I couldn't take it anymore so I candled my eggs. Started last Friday with 9 eggs. One popped the first night. Evidently an invisible crack.
I candled the remaining 8 a little while ago. Two are clear and kind of sloshy. The other six are darker shelled and the best the light shows is a shadow. The temp is staying at 100 I've been dry incubating. Room humidity is at 40-45%. When should I know more about if they are developing right? Is there a way to get a better look thru the dark shells? I don't want to kill them with stupidity.

First timer here. I couldn't take it anymore so I candled my eggs. Started last Friday with 9 eggs. One popped the first night. Evidently an invisible crack.
I candled the remaining 8 a little while ago. Two are clear and kind of sloshy. The other six are darker shelled and the best the light shows is a shadow. The temp is staying at 100 I've been dry incubating. Room humidity is at 40-45%. When should I know more about if they are developing right? Is there a way to get a better look thru the dark shells? I don't want to kill them with stupidity.
What are you using to candle the eggs with?

I'm using the light that came with the jn12. looks like a little led using 3 AAA batteries
If the light's end isn't the same as the egg size all the light will not go through the egg. If light is escaping around the edges you can use a piece of cardboard to wrap around the end to fit the exact size of the eggs. Then you'll be able to see the eggs inside better.

At least three look like little tree roots running around. The other three look like dark blobs. But they are also in the darkest eggs

I got a janoel 12 last month and loved it so much I bought a second one! Also I learned how to hatch more than 9-12 eggs in them (but now I manually turn the eggs with a book at one end).

Your humidity sounds good and the jn12 does a great job of keeping temps right where they need to be.

Congrats on the eggs growing veins! Whoop!

You can use 2 or even 3 led flashlights to shine on your darker eggs to see better.

Back
Top Bottom