Kerya

Songster
Nov 1, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello! I have some pictures and videos to share.
I bought 16 call duck eggs, only 8 seem to be fertile. It’s day 7 at the time of posting, the image was taken at midnight, and the images are from just before posting (7pm-ish).
I have some eggs in an incubator and some under one of my girls.

The eggs were developing properly and had normal air sacs until this time, but 2 eggs seem to look like they have a loose bubbles? They are very hard to see, but they’re “stuck” in/around the veins. Is this an issue, or should I leave them? They were under my girl. I can’t tell if that’s now the air sac or if I should be worried for them.. any help is appreciated!
This is the video of the egg air bubble thing!

Attachments

• 2F2B8D08-1474-49F6-9533-5D7853C57DF5.jpeg
    2F2B8D08-1474-49F6-9533-5D7853C57DF5.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 55
Hello! I have some pictures and videos to share.
I bought 16 call duck eggs, only 8 seem to be fertile. It’s day 7 at the time of posting, the image was taken at midnight, and the images are from just before posting (7pm-ish).
I have some eggs in an incubator and some under one of my girls.

The eggs were developing properly and had normal air sacs until this time, but 2 eggs seem to look like they have a loose bubbles? They are very hard to see, but they’re “stuck” in/around the veins. Is this an issue, or should I leave them? They were under my girl. I can’t tell if that’s now the air sac or if I should be worried for them.. any help is appreciated!
This is the video of the egg air bubble thing!
The lighting in the picture makes it impossible for me to see what is going on, so a question: When you candled this egg could you see definite veining or was there a large red ring? If there's veining, the developing duckling is fine. Red ring would be a blood ring, which I think I see in the picture, the duckling has died. The bubbles your seeing may be gasses building up as the egg decays. Again, if you see spider web looking veining, all is well.

The lighting in the picture makes it impossible for me to see what is going on, so a question: When you candled this egg could you see definite veining or was there a large red ring? If there's veining, the developing duckling is fine. Red ring would be a blood ring, which I think I see in the picture, the duckling has died. The bubbles your seeing may be gasses building up as the egg decays. Again, if you see spider web looking veining, all is well.
Hello, so it definitely has veins, I just candled them again to double check and I don’t believe it has a red ring. It looks like the veins were just darker in some spots?
The moving air sac seems to have merged with the rest of the air sac as well.

Apparently now another egg has started something strange today. This other egg, when I was candling it, the inside contents were moving while the egg was resting. I wasn’t moving the egg, or touching it so that was strange. Could I have accidentally turned it to the side it was previously on? I have a video (that’s hopefully better) if you’d like to see that, too

Hopefully I haven’t gone and messed this poor ducky 😔
Thank you for your response!

Any egg that does not have veining should be removed from the incubator. Only the ones with veining are living. Should an embryo die the veining breaks down very quickly and the blood ring may be seen. Those eggs that are dead break down quickly by bacteria; gasses are formed. If the eggs are not removed it is likely they will eventually explode-a stinking mess that may ruin other eggs.

Candling shipped eggs often shows the unusual. As long as the veining is present, the embryo lives. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply! Out of my 7, one is shrink wrapped. The egg started to look strange so I asked and searched like mad, I was advised to open the shell a peep and see if the outer membrane looked good. (The duckling was not moving for a long time, outer membrane yellow/brown, and it also apears that in the spot opened, the veins are barely visible). I cannot find her bill anywhere and am wondering if she is also malpositioned, it just looks like “yellow hills” and possibly legs further down. I am afraid to open more than I did, but wondering if her face is closer to the wrong end? I set her back in the incubator for now. Thank you!
Any egg that does not have veining should be removed from the incubator. Only the ones with veining are living. Should an embryo die the veining breaks down very quickly and the blood ring may be seen. Those eggs that are dead break down quickly by bacteria; gasses are formed. If the eggs are not removed it is likely they will eventually explode-a stinking mess that may ruin other eggs.

Candling shipped eggs often shows the unusual. As long as the veining is present, the embryo lives. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply! Out of my 7, one is shrink wrapped. The egg started to look strange so I asked and searched like mad, I was advised to open the shell a peep and see if the outer membrane looked good. (The duckling was not moving for a long time, outer membrane yellow/brown, and it also apears that in the spot opened, the veins are barely visible). I cannot find her bill anywhere and am wondering if she is also malpositioned,
Look closely under the wings for the head and bill.

it just looks like “yellow hills” and possibly legs further down. I am afraid to open more than I did, but wondering if her face is closer to the wrong end?
Possible.
I set her back in the incubator for now. Thank you!
Are the eggs hatching? Call ducks hatch in 25-26 days. Yesterday was a busy day; 12 muscovy and 6 call ducklings hatched! Last look the muscovy hen had all the ducklings and the call hen was off and running with her drake.

Look closely under the wings for the head and bill.

Possible.

Are the eggs hatching? Call ducks hatch in 25-26 days. Yesterday was a busy day; 12 muscovy and 6 call ducklings hatched! Last look the muscovy hen had all the ducklings and the call hen was off and running with her drake.
It turns out she was malpositioned and I was too late in saving her, she was already gone when I found her head & bill.

Two ducklings have hatched, 3 are pipped but not a full hole yet, just the star shape. The “younger” duckling of the two hasn’t fully absorbed the yolk I don’t think, but it’s not attached to her, so I left the egg shell in there with it. Not sure if I should feed her or if she’s fine because she got most of the yolk! (She’s acting pretty normal, but the older one seems to be bullying her haha 😅)
I almost want to check the others but don’t want them to be shrink wrapped either.

Also I’m glad your hatches seemed to have went well! That definitely is a busy hatch 👏
Thank you for your reply!! Duck hatching is exciting

It turns out she was malpositioned and I was too late in saving her, she was already gone when I found her head & bill.
Sorry.
Two ducklings have hatched, 3 are pipped but not a full hole yet, just the star shape.
A problem with Call ducklings, because of the short bill, is that they may not be able to externally pip. For you, at this point, I'd recommend that you make air holes in the air cell end of any egg that has not externally pipped, where your sure the egg contains a duckling. Candle the eggs to find a "safe" spot to puncture an air hole,
The “younger” duckling of the two hasn’t fully absorbed the yolk I don’t think, but it’s not attached to her,
Probably not yolk as yolk would be attached.

so I left the egg shell in there with it. Not sure if I should feed her or if she’s fine because she got most of the yolk! (She’s acting pretty normal, but the older one seems to be bullying her haha 😅)
I almost want to check the others but don’t want them to be shrink wrapped either.

Do you have experience in hatching call ducklings and have you done an assisted hatch before?

Also I’m glad your hatches seemed to have went well! That definitely is a busy hatch 👏
Thank you for your reply!! Duck hatching is exciting

Sorry.

A problem with Call ducklings, because of the short bill, is that they may not be able to externally pip. For you, at this point, I'd recommend that you make air holes in the air cell end of any egg that has not externally pipped, where your sure the egg contains a duckling. Candle the eggs to find a "safe" spot to puncture an air hole,

Probably not yolk as yolk would be attached.

Do you have experience in hatching call ducklings and have you done an assisted hatch before?
Oh okay, thank you! I’ll do that in a moment. I wasn’t sure if I should’ve been waiting or not!
I’m glad it’s most likely not the yolk though, and she should be good.

I haven’t done an assisted hatch before, aside from the shrink wrapped baby. I’m assuming it’s the same for one who’s still alive?
It is also my first hatch, I did a lot of searching and made myself some word documents but it’s hard to know for sure when I’ve never physically done it before.

Perhaps just instead of scoring my own careful hole, I’d use their star shapes? Carefully make the breathing hole and stick them back in if everything else is good?

Back
Top Bottom