At the top of this page you will find the symbol for articles. It is the paper with the corner turned down-click on it. You will find a great article on assisted hatches-read it.
Likely the most important step is to NOT remove the duckling/chick/baby completely from the shell. If the duckling struggles free on its own, only then can you be sure the yolk sack has been absorbed and the duckling will thrive.

The best thing to do is relax and follow the procedure in the article. I could explain, but the article does a better job of explaining than I could.

On these just check to make sure the shell membrane has been pierced and air can enter. The eggs to worry about are any that have not externally pipped at all; these are the ones that really need the air hole. This needs to be done first! There is just so much O2 in the air cell and when that is gone the duckling will suffocate and die.

Yes. Wait a half hour after making air holes to let everything warm up then follow the article's advice. If you can't find it, post, and I'll try to explain.
Sorry about taking so long, I read the article, gave them the assist hole an then put the passed ones away.
One drowned I believe, inside the second membrane it was an almost green fluid, and the yolk was in tact but not absorbed.
Another had I think bled, on the opposite end of the air cell hole, so I had no idea of seeing it before it was too late.
I was afraid of assisting too early, but it seems I assisted too late on the 3 of them.

There’s 2 next in line to hatch, and I’ve followed the advice in the article. Now I wait for them to continue absorbing their yolk/blood! Those 2 seem to be doing good, thank you so much!

26F86F57-9AC4-4409-AB74-A18CFD04EB17.jpeg
I feel awful posting so much but, I can’t help but be concerned as this third duckling hatched out! I’m not sure if this is a prolapsed vent or the yolk but I wanted to move the duckling away from the other two as they are a bit rowdy and am unsure if I should keep the duckling separated or if there’s anything I should do with this one ^^;

View attachment 3081695I feel awful posting so much but, I can’t help but be concerned as this third duckling hatched out! I’m not sure if this is a prolapsed vent or the yolk but I wanted to move the duckling away from the other two as they are a bit rowdy and am unsure if I should keep the duckling separated or if there’s anything I should do with this one ^^;
It is neither. Please post a side view of this as what I'm seeing now looks normal. Post all you want; that is what the group is for and about. Separate until I see a side view.

As I was going to get another picture I noticed it had retracted- I also had someone on Facebook inform me of ‘rough navels’ and let me know this happens to their ducklings sometimes as well. I’ll still get another picture once I can though! Thank you ^^;

EDIT: Here are the photos
227FC169-2AC6-4E09-A87C-45616CB07634.jpeg

Attachments

• 705D2CCD-9662-40A6-B03C-2443EF3E1349.jpeg
    705D2CCD-9662-40A6-B03C-2443EF3E1349.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom