Day 7 of 2nd hatching attempt

cheraboo

Songster
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Michigan
We set our Hamburg eggs and the eggs we got from our Silkies (hmm ... Silkie and a Faverolle ... a Filkie?
tongue.png
). Still not great with candling but it looks like we have a few developing chicks. There was movement in a couple of the eggs
wee.gif
. Some we could see definite veining in and some we couldn't tell because of the egg shell. We're guessing that four or five of the eight Hamburg eggs we have are infertile, but not removing anything at this point since we are inexperienced and there is no seepage or odor.

I'm kind of confused about the blood rings though. Some of the eggs had a definite red line but it didn't go all the way around the egg. It was just a line. Would that be considered a blood ring?
idunno.gif

Keep all eggs in until you are absolutely sure. Candle again in a few days and see how they are looking.

I thought I had a blood ring last hatch (and I've hatched lots) but it turned out it was just the way the initial veins were forming, and that egg hatched out a gorgeous little chick.

A blood ring will fade over time, forming gaps in the ring until finally disappearing altogether. It will look quite different when compared to eggs that are developing as they should.

Veins in healthy eggs will slowly grow until they span the entire inner membrane.

eggs can often have rings - a blood ring is quite distinctive. It will end up turning almost black within a day and if you shake the egg slightly the insides and the ring should slosh around. On a developing egg the insides move more freely as you turn an egg than on a dead egg where it starts to look like there is a dead jellyfish floating inside. Yours does not sound like a blood ring.

Back
Top Bottom