DAY 7: Throwing out "duds"????

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
DD & I are attempting to hatch 14 silkies and 10 Showgirls. Seven of the eggs are ours; seven shipped; and ten picked up from a nearby town. I calibrated my incubator for three days before setting the eggs. Got steady temps. All went really well for the first 3 days. Then, I began to see fluctuations in the temps, from 97 to 102. (This, with a water wiggler). I really tried to keep on top of it, probably dinked with the gauge too much, but I was afraid of frying the poor things.
Today we candled. We only have a flashlight. DD is sooooo bummed out. It only appears that 4 or 5 of the embryos are developing. A few have a faint yolk look, but nothing dark. We have a few with the distinct "Bacterial Ring of Doom." When I suggested we crack a couple of these to check them out, DD got upset.
Should we hang in there for a few more days? Any experience with such patience paying off? Or, are we gonna end up with a 'bator full of steaming rot?

swtangel321

~Crazy Egg Lady~
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
I would wait till day 10 - 11ish, you will know 100% by then what eggs are duds and what are good.... sometimes its hard to tell early !!!! You should be ok till then....

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
I had a similar experience at day 6. I decided to open all the eggs that looked clear to me. Sure enough, they were all duds, one even being scrambled. Apparently it doesnt hurt to wait, but I just wanted the bad eggs out of the bator.

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
If they don't stink leave them in until at least day 10
thumbsup.gif

Krista

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Alright, the vote is for patience.
I will report back when I have clear results - or steaming egg rot!

Top Bottom