Day 9 - sticky "sap" on eggs?

Day 17! 4 of them are HUGE!! It was so tough to see movement in 3 of them because it is ALL CHICK in those eggs! The other one that I could actually see was super active.

They're in lockdown!! C'mon Tuesday!!

Hi Raychel!

I haven't seen this thread until right now. I think we set eggs on the same exact day, Wednesday, April 9? Mine are due on Tuesday as well. I am a first time hatcher and I am using the Brinsea Mini Advance. Is that what you have your eggs in? I truly can't remember what I set my eggs on the programming, I think that I just set "Auto" everything. My question is, today is day 18 for me, but of course, the Brinsea marks down instead of up.. so it now says Day 3, but the turning feature is still going on mine. Did yours stop? I thought lockdown was just the last 2 days. I am a bit confused and hope I haven't done anything to hurt these little ones, they've made it this far!

I set 6 pure Ameruacana eggs and one of my Ameraucana/Barred rock cross. Started with the 6 blue eggs and the brown BR egg. Only 4 have made it to the end. 2 were infertile and one was an early death.

Any info would be helpful,
THanks!
MB

Hi!

I'm first time hatcher too - using the same machine! I set mine the day before you - on the Tuesday.

I had a hard time figuring it out with the brinsea since my app counts up and it counts down...I know in the manual it says it stops with 3 days to go but since I have to leave it at school with day 18/19 being on a weekend (I'm hatching with my kindergartens) and it's the weekend I didn't want to take a chance that it didn't shut off by itself.

It's been confusing! Everything I've read says day 18 to go into lockdown and the brinsea says 19....I'm hoping it doesn't make a difference though.

I had 1 infertile and 1 early death (I think). The others all look good so far though!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try (with my very limited experience!) to let you in on what I've encountered!

Thanks for the response,

Yes, I am in a quandary about what to do. I was wondering if anyone is around at Brinsea customer service tomorrow to counsel me as to what to do. How nice you are doing this with kindergarteners.. They must be so excited too! What kind of eggs do you have in there? What are the plans for the chicks once they hatch?

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Good Luck!

MB

Raychel,

I found this video, and thought it was amazing. Neat simulation of what we have been thinking about for the last 18 days!!!!! Maybe your students would enjoy it!

Yes, they are beyond excited. If I have to hear "are our chicks hatching today?" one more time my head might explode LOL!! They've made up welcome posters for them that we posted above where their "home" is set up. I'm planning on keeping them for about 2 weeks (or until the kids start getting attached....) then they'll head back to the local zoo where I got the eggs from. All I know is that I have chicks..not sure of what kind :)

You could call Brinsea - my guess, though, is that they'll support what they have in the manual. Maybe someone in here can chime in? I know a lot of people here seem to lockdown on Day 18, but who knows!

I actually showed them that video! It is really neat - but thanks for thinking about me! I have the iHatch app on my phone which has given some great pictures for the kids and it says exactly what is happening on a given day (it's also what said to lockdown on Day 18).

I have a webcam set up, so once they all hatch I will post the video on YouTube :)

Back
Top Bottom