Day old chick cannot walk, falls on side

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kuchchicks, Oct 12, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    First, I had one with a slipped tendon that I did not treat quickly enough and had to cull, so figuring out the problem quickly is important.

Feel around on its hips and legs, see if something feels out of place.
    Here's what I'd try. Hold its legs in your right had, and its head out straight away from you, with its belly down, your left fingers supporting its chest. So its laying like superman flying away from you. Slowly lower it, until its dangling by its legs. It will instinctively try to upright itself. This is intended to set any joints in the right place if something is out of whack. It can't hurt, if nothing is out of place. Just try it a time or two, slowly, dont stress the bird too much.

2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Gosh that pic make me want to cry... so sweet. Something I would do.

So this little guy has strong legs. I just held him up and both legs kick, look like they are moving exactly the way they are supposed to. But he keeps falling onto his right side - only the right side no matter how you hold him.

3. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Does this sound like a tendon issue/hip issue? Not sure what to do. Chick is otherwise very alert, does drink when I put him by the water. Still has not tried to eat... ugh I don't want to cull him.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like hip to me, if he always falls to the same side, but can move the legs ok. I dont know....

Maybe its just strength of the right leg?? Allowing him to always fall to the right side?

5. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    What should I do? Giving him electrolytes. He did take a couple bites of food. I keep going over and doing "physical therapy" making him stand and move legs. He is determined to be in the pile of chicks. He is actually looking a little better after the electrolytes. Not a lot but noticeable.

6. izziebean

izziebean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Might want to make sure he isn't at the bottom of the pile. The weight of the other birds might further damage the leg.

7. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    Is the surface he's on slick? Maybe a day or two will get his brain to re adjust. I had two with splayed legs and did the tape thing and in three days they corrected their thinking and walked perfectly.

8. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Are you using Sav-a-chik electrolytes? The extra vitamins in it may just do the trick. The therapy you are doing can't hurt either. Maybe someone else will come up with something else. Good luck

(if you decide to try the upside down thing, try it on one of the other chicks first, just to observe how it reacts)

9. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    OK I think it is splay leg. I saw some videos on YouTube and that's exactly what it looks like. I don't have a straw or rubber band small enough, so I used a small Band-Aid. Definitely does not like it but if it works then I'm willing to try it. I had to put him Back inside the Tupperware container. He was getting stepped on. If I have to take him to water and food how often should I do it? During the day it's no issue but I'm just wondering if I need to wake up frequently during the night? Otherwise during the day does every 15 minutes sound sufficient?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by