Day old chick don’t like starter any advice?

I wouldn't worry about it if it's a newborn, but yes at 2-3 days it does need to start eating. Chicks don't instinctively know what processed chicken feed is, so you may need to show them by "pecking" at it to simulate a hen pecking at food, or sprinkling it around areas you see it pecking at, so it'll get some feed that way.

She’ll be fine. My 2 chicks last month didn’t eat much until the 3rd day, and even then, they didn’t eat a whole lot for the first week. You can try putting the crumbles on a dark background, vs a light background. crumbles on black construction paper got my chicks eating more, but they still didn’t have much of an apetite. as long as it’s healthy and knows the crumbles is food, it will come for the food when it’s hungry

I wouldn't worry about it if it's a newborn, but yes at 2-3 days it does need to start eating. Chicks don't instinctively know what processed chicken feed is, so you may need to show them by "pecking" at it to simulate a hen pecking at food, or sprinkling it around areas you see it pecking at, so it'll get some feed that way.
She’ll be fine. My 2 chicks last month didn’t eat much until the 3rd day, and even then, they didn’t eat a whole lot for the first week. You can try putting the crumbles on a dark background, vs a light background. crumbles on black construction paper got my chicks eating more, but they still didn’t have much of an apetite. as long as it’s healthy and knows the crumbles is food, it will come for the food when it’s hungry
she will pick it up from my fingers and if i drop it on the tissues, i might try a darker background. usually after picking it up she drops it back down and for the much she will wipe it some where. hoping she is just full and she will figure it out soon. ill update if there are some improvement or if she doesn't eat tomorrow.

Update!
Today she is starting to eat a tiny bit. She cant pick up crumbs so i grind it down to a very tiny powder like mash. While she is eating some, im not sure she is eating enough as im concerned the mash is too tiny to get a mouthful.
she is a very active chick even at a day old yesterday. The way she tries to jump out of the brooder to me scares me as she yells as she falls back down. Thinking this chick is a bit of a drama queen though, screaming if an item touched her feet (even shavings stuck to her feathered feet) and when she tries to stretch but falls on her face :p. She sometimes has “nightmares” which worries me alot.
Her jumping power reminded me of a week old chick. The eggs im incubating are in lockdown, hoping she can get some siblings soon!

Attachments

• 98DA4353-D99F-420B-98E8-81B601E6BA62.jpeg
    98DA4353-D99F-420B-98E8-81B601E6BA62.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 5
Update!
Today she is starting to eat a tiny bit. She cant pick up crumbs so i grind it down to a very tiny powder like mash. While she is eating some, im not sure she is eating enough as im concerned the mash is too tiny to get a mouthful.
she is a very active chick even at a day old yesterday. The way she tries to jump out of the brooder to me scares me as she yells as she falls back down. Thinking this chick is a bit of a drama queen though, screaming if an item touched her feet (even shavings stuck to her feathered feet) and when she tries to stretch but falls on her face :p. She sometimes has “nightmares” which worries me alot.
Her jumping power reminded me of a week old chick. The eggs im incubating are in lockdown, hoping she can get some siblings soon!
That’s good! Do you feel a crop on her?😉

will you be getting her some friends?
yes, sadly i don't trust buying chicks anymore as all chickens and adult chickens i bought from different vendors came in sick and died in a few days/weeks. now i only get eggs, i had two batches going so this chick should not be alone for long, got a few eggs that are in lockdown.
i'm not looking for another house chicken that can't get along with the flock. for now i take her brooder in my bedroom and back to the working room to give her company. she does sleep through the night though which surprised me. but when the sun start rising, the peeping starts. while shes kinda cute, she always wants to be held so ive mostly been working on the floor now...
That’s good! Do you feel a crop on her?😉
i do feel a tiny one i think.

Aww, she must be a little lonely. As long as she’s energetic, and content, doing what a chick should be doing, I wouldn’t worry too much about the crop. My last two really didn’t have much of a crop until one week in, but boy were they an energetic duo. I was initially worried as well, but since they acted so healthy, I decided to let it be. They became little piggies one week in, i rarely saw them without a huuuuuge bulging crop :lol:

Back
Top Bottom