Day old chick transport

lizbeth120

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
Boonsboro, MD
First timer here! I'm picking up my chicks tomorrow at a feed store close to my job so the babies will be hanging out with me at work. I have a meeting in the afternoon at a different location (about 15 min from the office) then will be heading home for the 1 hour commute. I've bought some handwarmers for the ride home. Is it OK to keep them in the box from the feed store for the day? Or should I lug the brooder to work with me? I'm also wondering if I should take them to the meeting with me? Will they be OK without food and water for 3 hours while I'm at the meeting/driving?

Last edited:
I see no problem with keeping them with you in their shipping box for the day. We drove to Meyer Hatchery about a week ago, which is located 1 1/2 hours from here, and we picked them up at about 10:30 a.m.. After that, we waited until 1:00 to meet with a breeder and collect my mom's Isbars, afterwards beginning the long trek home. After making another stop, we got home at about 4:30 p.m.. In other words, yes, they will be perfectly fine as long as you keep them as warm as possible. Also, day olds can go up to three days without food and water because they have just absorbed the nutrient-rich yolk.
smile.png

Have fun with your babies!
-Alex

in my opinion it would definitely depend on the circumstances. if the chick JUST arrived from a long shipping trip from the hatchery to the feed store then I would NOT want to delay any longer than I had too getting them into the brooder. yes they CAN survive for 3 days directly after hatch but if they just arrived from shipping from the hatchery that 3 days is very likely used up from the shipping transport time from hatchery to feed store. it's then likely the chicks will be cold. However if they have already been at the feed store and had a chance to eat and drink rest and warm after there shipping trip I would think they would do just fine. Try not let them get chilled and you should be just fine. Congratulations on your new little ones I hope you post some pictures!! I can't wait to see them ♡♡♡ I ordered mine in January and still have to wait till April 11th..ugh.at least mine will go into the hatcheries incubator next monday! that's some progress finally lol. :) how many are you getting? What's the breeds? I have a very small order of 9. 7 Female Barred Rocks, 1 suprise female layer and 1 Golden Cuckoo Maran female. I can't hardly wait!!

You can place the chicks in a carrying crate with a towel folded over the hand warmers . It's crucial the chicks don't come into direct contact with them as they could be burned, thus injured. If you just have a small number of chicks, say four to six, just use one hand warmer. More will make it much too warm, and they wouldn't have room to get away from them to cool off. Of course, if you have 25 to 30 chicks, you would want maybe three or four warmers.

What I would do is to wet some chick starter or use some of that green goo that they sometimes ship with chicks. Giving the chicks moisture of some kind will prevent them from going into stress during the time you need to be in transit with them. They should do just fine.

You can place the chicks in a carrying crate with a towel folded over the hand warmers . It's crucial the chicks don't come into direct contact with them as they could be burned, thus injured. If you just have a small number of chicks, say four to six, just use one hand warmer. More will make it much too warm, and they wouldn't have room to get away from them to cool off. Of course, if you have 25 to 30 chicks, you would want maybe three or four warmers.

What I would do is to wet some chick starter or use some of that green goo that they sometimes ship with chicks. Giving the chicks moisture of some kind will prevent them from going into stress during the time you need to be in transit with them. They should do just fine.
Agreed! I use hand warmers for transporting the 2 hour drive from the feed store I prefer to home. But I always, always make sure the chicks cannot come into direct contact with it. And I take a little butter container with moistened food in it for them.

I picked up my new babies this morning - I asked at the feed store and they were hatched yesterday and flown in early this morning so I guess they are still within the 72 hour window. So far they are happily hanging out on the handwarmer towel. I brought a little divided snack tray to put food and water in while we're just in the office this morning and they are all eating and drinking well in between little naps. I think I can already tell who my 'diva' is going to be, lol! I can't wait to get them home and in the brooder, though they are really popular with my co-workers :)

Their poop is green, so the hatchery must ship them with the "green goo." I was confused until I remembered your comment.

Last edited:
in my opinion it would definitely depend on the circumstances. if the chick JUST arrived from a long shipping trip from the hatchery to the feed store then I would NOT want to delay any longer than I had too getting them into the brooder. yes they CAN survive for 3 days directly after hatch but if they just arrived from shipping from the hatchery that 3 days is very likely used up from the shipping transport time from hatchery to feed store. it's then likely the chicks will be cold. However if they have already been at the feed store and had a chance to eat and drink rest and warm after there shipping trip I would think they would do just fine. Try not let them get chilled and you should be just fine. Congratulations on your new little ones I hope you post some pictures!! I can't wait to see them ♡♡♡ I ordered mine in January and still have to wait till April 11th..ugh.at least mine will go into the hatcheries incubator next monday! that's some progress finally lol.
smile.png
how many are you getting? What's the breeds? I have a very small order of 9. 7 Female Barred Rocks, 1 suprise female layer and 1 Golden Cuckoo Maran female. I can't hardly wait!!
I posted a pic in the First time Chick Parents thread - I ended up with 2 RIR's, 2 barred rocks, and 1 golden comet. I got there 15 minutes after the store opened and they were already sold out of golden laced wyandottes which is a MUST HAVE for me after seeing them at the fair last year so i'm going to try again next Thurs
fl.gif

Hopefully you can get one next time! aren't they just beautiful!! Chicken math struck me again! Yikes! I added a silver penciled Rock to my order. Have you ever seen them? They are beyond beautiful! limit is only 1 per customer. if you get some free time, head over to Meyer hatchery online and look in Rare breeds for the Silver Penciled Rock. I couldn't believe they still had a female left for my hatch date!!! See if you like them. :)

Hopefully you can get one next time! aren't they just beautiful!! Chicken math struck me again! Yikes! I added a silver penciled Rock to my order. Have you ever seen them? They are beyond beautiful! limit is only 1 per customer. if you get some free time, head over to Meyer hatchery online and look in Rare breeds for the Silver Penciled Rock. I couldn't believe they still had a female left for my hatch date!!! See if you like them. :)

I had to talk myself out of one. Honestly, I probably would have at least one of each breed if I could! So many beautiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom