day old chick w swollen legs and feet!

somanychix

Chirping
Aug 14, 2020
I have a day old showgirl silkie that was fine when it hatched. put it in brooder w brooder plate and 3 siblings. this morning its feet and legs are swollen and it cant walk. I talked to the breeder and she has never heard of it so we decided to put a mash in for it to eat and take everyone else out. it is resting and i was able to get it to take a few drops of vitamin/electrolyte water. Any ideas, thoughts?

some pics would help a lot!

first off, it would be a good idea to get pressure off her feet/legs. take a paper cup and turn it upside-down. cut out the bottom and glue some soft cloth over the opening. Then, once the glue sets, cut leg holes in the cloth. this will be a "sling" for your baby to sit in, and it will also cause her to not be able to peck off the leg wraps that are coming next. For the leg wraps, you need some very light, thin cloth. cut it onto leg width strips. I use cheesecloth because of how soft and lightweight it is. Get a little bit of ginger root and boil it. then, put it in a blender. The mash should be moist, but not dripping wet watery. put some mash on the cloth and wrap it around the chick's legs, make sure to keep it firm, but not tight! finish it off with some medical tape to keep them on. leave the wraps on five minutes. (I say ten for adults, but due to the sensitivity of a newly hatched chicks skin, I would say five.) that might take down the swelling. I do not know why the legs and feet are swelling, but I hope this at least helps a bit.

@MysteryChicken
Maybe you have seen something like this before?

some pics would help a lot!

first off, it would be a good idea to get pressure off her feet/legs. take a paper cup and turn it upside-down. cut out the bottom and glue some soft cloth over the opening. Then, once the glue sets, cut leg holes in the cloth. this will be a "sling" for your baby to sit in, and it will also cause her to not be able to peck off the leg wraps that are coming next. For the leg wraps, you need some very light, thin cloth. cut it onto leg width strips. I use cheesecloth because of how soft and lightweight it is. Get a little bit of ginger root and boil it. then, put it in a blender. The mash should be moist, but not dripping wet watery. put some mash on the cloth and wrap it around the chick's legs, make sure to keep it firm, but not tight! finish it off with some medical tape to keep them on. leave the wraps on five minutes. (I say ten for adults, but due to the sensitivity of a newly hatched chicks skin, I would say five.) that might take down the swelling. I do not know why the legs and feet are swelling, but I hope this at least helps a bit.

@MysteryChicken
Maybe you have seen something like this before?
Thank you! she is still the same this morning. I will find some ginger root today and see how it goes :D poor baby is strong but just looks swollen everywhere...

Back
Top Bottom