Day old chick weak... HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hfrey, Nov 2, 2015.

1. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    So I woke up this morning and my baby chick hatched at 5 in the morning. The baby was fine, chirping moving around and sleeping. The usual. When I came home from school I looked in my incubator (homemade) and saw that the temperature was 105.6 and the baby was laying on its back, eyes closed and heavily breathing. When I picked the poo thing up, it was very limp . It was weak and it head hung down from my fingers. So I took it out of the incubator and put it in a box covered with a towel to help keep it a little warm since i thought it over heated, it chirped after 10 minutes and tried to walk around but the baby's head kept bobbing around . Now almost 3 hours later the baby has made no progress, it's chirping but not loud. It tries to walk and its head is still bobbing up and down. I put it back into the incubator and its sleeping now. I just want to know what to do and if it's going to die. I don't want the poor thing to die

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I would recommend posting in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section" or "Raising Baby Chicks" section.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Definitely post in detail on the er thread. I would think it might have damage from the heat but, also is probably very dehydrated

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good luck with your chick!

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by