Day Old Chick Won't Wake Up

AsunaWolf42

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2019
Georgia
I ordered chicks offline and they arrived this morning.
My Lavendar Orpington, Talon, has not woken up since we brought her home. I've gotten her to drink a few drops of water but it's been 6 hours and she is still laying there. She does move if another chick bothers her but only a few inches. I dont have a separate brooder to keep her in.
I increased the heat in the brooder and she moved away from it so I decreased it back down to where she liked it before. All her other shipmates are active and happy but she has me really worried.

This is her.

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_134516_590.jpg
    IMG_20190904_134516_590.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 39
Sometimes the stress of shipping and the whole process is just too much for them. It's possible that you may lose this one. This is what I do when I have a weak chick, sometimes it works well. The neckerchief method of carrying them around has been very helpful with some of them, helps give them the will to live. I hope this helps, and best of luck.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/

Sometimes the stress of shipping and the whole process is just too much for them. It's possible that you may lose this one. This is what I do when I have a weak chick, sometimes it works well. The neckerchief method of carrying them around has been very helpful with some of them, helps give them the will to live. I hope this helps, and best of luck.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/

I'm trying the neckerchief thing. She peeped a lot. Seems to prefer being in the top of my shirt. Maybe im doing the neckerchief wrong?

How ever you can make her comfortable, so she can feel your body heat and hear your voice. I had to play with the neckerchief to get it right, so it rested against the hard part of my upper chest, just below my neck. The important thing is that she feels you, feels close. I would give her fluid every 20 minutes or so. You can also use raw egg yolk mixed in water. Loud, rapid peeping is often distress. Quieter, slower peeping is usually contentment. If she's peeping a lot try humming, soft singing, or talking to her or yourself. It often does help.

Back
Top Bottom