Day old chicks with 3 week chicks?

kwebb

Chirping
Mar 18, 2018
Texas
we got 2 chicks 2-3 weeks old but we are going to get 2 more likely they will be a couple of days old. How hard willl it be to add them to the other two chicks. Will they fit in since they are not a lot older. I've already started noticing the pecking on one chick that is pretty dominate.

Thanks

I had troubles getting together chicks that were a week apart. It took months before I didn't have to supervise them. The big ones pecked the younger ones. Not all but a few individuals.

"I had troubles getting together chicks that were a week apart. It took months before I didn't have to supervise them. The big ones pecked the younger ones. Not all but a few individuals."
Yes, that is a concern of mine as well. Long time chicken fanatic in Santa Cruz, CA, now thirty years later I am starting over again.
I began with Ameracauna and Copper Maran which seemed a good fit and they get along well.
I then bought Easter Egger and Olive Egger pullets that are a week older - 4 - 5 wks. DESPITE all commentary on the 'friendliness' of the EE I find that both of them are very active and aggressive birds.
Putting them into the chicken shed with my other two breeds will take some slow and safe accommodation - a common mixing ground, but a safe return to their individual boxes.
Lastly I have Speckled Sussex which ALREADY are proving to be the friendliest and perhaps - like Faverolles the least dominant bird. These are only ONE week old and will certainly need careful watching - perhaps a separate portion of the pen.

I have put 1 day old RIR with 3 week old EE and they were fine. The EE pecked a few times at the RIR beaks because they had a red/brown dot on the beaks, but they were fine with supervision after about 15 min.

I've brood chicks with a nearly 3 week age gap with no issue....however, there are factors other than interaction to consider. For example, the type of heat used for brooding is a factor. Three week olds require significantly less heat than hatchlings. Using contact heat is the easiest way to work around this. My mama heat pad was easily adjusted so the high and low points were appropriate for the span of chick sizes....and the older birds transitioned to the top rather than in the cave as they no longer needed the heat...the younger birds left the cave at about 2 1/2 weeks because they had their older broodermates to huddle with. A heat lamp does not offer this flexibility.
This is my three week gap group from last year....
20170418_175038.jpg

I've brood chicks with a nearly 3 week age gap with no issue....however, there are factors other than interaction to consider. For example, the type of heat used for brooding is a factor. Three week olds require significantly less heat than hatchlings. Using contact heat is the easiest way to work around this. My mama heat pad was easily adjusted so the high and low points were appropriate for the span of chick sizes....and the older birds transitioned to the top rather than in the cave as they no longer needed the heat...the younger birds left the cave at about 2 1/2 weeks because they had their older broodermates to huddle with. A heat lamp does not offer this flexibility.
This is my three week gap group from last year....
View attachment 1311301

How cool!
I'm curious; does the MHP system influence at all how you introduce the chicks together? I have them same problem as OP, but I'm using a MHP-- would it work to stick the new chicks underneath at night when everyone's asleep? I know that's how you're supposed to introduce babies to broodies, but I'm curious as to how it applies here as well. How did you originally introduce the chicks? Also, from the picture it looks like your thee weekers significantly outnumbered the day-olds; was that an issue?

(Sorry to divert this thread, kwebb! Great question, though ;))

Mostly, I intend to integrate the two older groups by placing their boxes side to side so they can HEAR and feel the others going about their thing. Curiosity - after a day, I will open up ea. box with a five inch hinged door so they can mingle in the shared new chicken pen. **

Seeing the much flightier and chasing antics of the older EE and OE pullets (one Rooster) I need to do this slowly. EX. of difference. TREATS, such as chopped up greens are equally gobbled up by the Ameraucana and Cuckoo Marans but not with these two - they will ignore the treat pile and chase the pullet who grabbed the first tidbit and ALL are in a frenzy - ignoring the plenty of food at their feet. NOT impressed so far.

Difference in how they were raised or what? I do not think I want to gamble on the much more laid back and younger Speckled Sussex - they too will have a slow introduction period. (Only when they are four weeks old!)
Returning to the breeds. Favarolle was one of my favorites - liked them more than the true Araucana at that time, but the hens were doormats to the Minorca and hyper Polish etc. Decided not to go with them as I prefer to have the smaller birds, but No bantams!!!!

** Important to have level roosting sites so no fights for the high spot occur.

BTW I put up my own chicken story beginnings on my website. I also digressed into Chicken naming. :)
http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/?page_id=4739

Last edited:
Finding the integration for three Speckled Sussex (3-wk+) with older 6 wk+ pullets to be troublesome. I do suspect that they are a wimpier bird when it comes to dominance.
Have done a slow integration with a brooder box with a small exit opening. Surprise - a few older pullets squeezed their way in. Even when fed ANTS, these Sussex jumped onto their small perches and chirped their loud distress.
My last batch of Ameracauna and Sapphire Gems are SO, SO different - they go after the many legged ant treats and the Sapphire Gem at ONE WEEK already tried to fly out of its two foot high box.
I know I am going to like this breed.

Has anyone tried giving chicks with an age gap to a mama hen? My big buff orpington, Spring, has been sitting on her ceramic eggs for 3 weeks now. I'm getting day-old chicks for her to foster tomorrow morning, but just found out that two of the breeds I really wanted didn't come in. The feed store will have more next week. I'm wondering if I can give her three tomorrow and two newbies a week from now, or if she will have already bonded with her first fosterlings and not accept them. She has a been a very gentle and reliable mama in the past.

Back
Top Bottom