day old welsummers

elliechooks

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
UK

Any ideas from the top view?
managed to get a few faces

I know they are very young, and I will be able to tell at around 4 weeks when the chest feathers come in but Welsummers are supposed to be sexable at day old so I just wanted to try.
Thanks Veer67, that's what I thought too, so if you are wrong, we both are!

I hatched 7 welsummers a year ago and ended up with 4 cocks, 3 hens. They are sexable even from hatch; the blonder ones are deffo cocks. So, at a guess (assuming your pics are under a white light, not red) I would say from the top pic that the one second from the right is a cock. That photo from above is perfect. The darkest ones will be hens. The thing is, as they get to a couple weeks old, the colouring changes just slightly and they all look quite brown-ish. So it can be easier to tell sex from a very early age, before the feathers come through. Keep on posting pics, I love Welsummers! As they get older, the cocks will turn quite red, whereas the hens will stay quite barred/brown/pheasant type colours. The cocks are absolutely beautiful birds but very vigorous. We ate ours at 5 months and they were 4lb apiece and delicious.

I hatched 7 welsummers a year ago and ended up with 4 cocks, 3 hens. They are sexable even from hatch; the blonder ones are deffo cocks. So, at a guess (assuming your pics are under a white light, not red) I would say from the top pic that the one second from the right is a cock. That photo from above is perfect. The darkest ones will be hens. The thing is, as they get to a couple weeks old, the colouring changes just slightly and they all look quite brown-ish. So it can be easier to tell sex from a very early age, before the feathers come through. Keep on posting pics, I love Welsummers! As they get older, the cocks will turn quite red, whereas the hens will stay quite barred/brown/pheasant type colours. The cocks are absolutely beautiful birds but very vigorous. We ate ours at 5 months and they were 4lb apiece and delicious.

I find it easier to sex Welsummers at 5 weeks or older, they should be mostly feathered by then and males are easily distinguished from pullets.:)

The Mae is on the right and the pullet on the left.

Back
Top Bottom