Daylight bulb vs heat light

Patti3chics

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
Hi there- new chicky mama. I have 3 BR about 19wks now. I am hope to encourage egg production-nada so far-I am thinking of putting in a light-we only get about 7 hrs daylight plus their coop and run are in an 10x12 outfitters tent so no natural light. Is there a difference between the heat lamps-I definitely don’t need heat in there right now-and an actual daytime light-the uv kinda. I would set a timer for approx 12 hrs of light. Thanks for the input!!

I am hope to encourage egg production-nada so far-I am thinking of putting in a light-we only get about 7 hrs daylight plus their coop and run are in an 10x12 outfitters tent so no natural light

I would set a timer for approx 12 hrs of light.
You'll need at least 13 hours,14 hours is what I recommend.
I use a warm spectrum light, 2700 K
20200222_153555.jpg

250 lumens for a small coop <40 square feet. 450 lumens medium coop 40 to 60 sf. GC

Any sort of light will trigger laying hormones, even a dim light of 40 watts. Some use those "rope" lights.

You may not be aware of this, but chickens need natural sunlight to absorb vitamin D into their bodies. This is especially crucial when they begin to lay as calcium absorption depends on vitamin D. Without it, eventually the layers will be depleted of calcium and egg shells will be of very poor quality.

Poor quality egg shells, thin shells or no shells, can result in reproductive issues such as egg binding, and this is often life threatening.

Part of a chicken's sense of well being is sunlight exposure. They will sun bathe with wings extended to absorb vitamin D through their feathers, and it's also a very enjoyable social activity for them, as well.

I suggest cutting nice large windows into your tent on the south side.

Here is a flexible translucent plastic that is used in tents. https://www.plasticfilmcorporation.com/plastic-window-film-and-sheet.html

Sewing awl : https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Stitcher-Leather-Fabrics-Additional/dp/B06XJ1ZN6V/ref=sr_1_2?crid=7FLVHSC3LLOJ&dchild=1&keywords=upholstery+hand+sewing+machine&qid=1605492180&sprefix=upolstery+hand+sew,aps,494&sr=8-2

Back
Top Bottom