1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Days getting longer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GaDawg, Jan 12, 2009.

1. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I can tell the days are starting to get longer. I use to put up the chickens between 4:30 and 5:00, now it's getting closer to 6:00
    Yea! Hopefully more eggs!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Wow... thanks for noticing that! It completely slipped my mind. I'm just realizing the time now, and usually I've already put the chickens up but they still have another 20-30 minutes extra now.

I guess it was worth trying to plant some carrots and spinach today [​IMG]

Come on spring!!!!!!!!!!!

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ive noticed it too. I cant wait till spring. [​IMG]

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] we cant plant spinach or carrots or anything we have a foot of snow covering the garden...BUT [​IMG] SPRING is coming!!!

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Well , I live in South Louisiana and by 5:30 ITS DARK 30 LOL

I have lights in both coops now , and in Sept. we were picking 3 - 5 eggs a day . Suckers spent ALL summer resting . [​IMG]

We got them in early April and kept wondering when eggs would kick in . Well , DH put lights in both coops and NOW we are picking from 25 - 30 eggs a day . [​IMG] [​IMG] Still have 40 that will be laying before spring time . [​IMG]

6. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Oh please , lets not rush SPRING because summer is right behind that and we have super rough summer temps and live in Hurricane prone area . Enjoying the weather right now . [​IMG]

7. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I need spring cos we have such wet and yucky winters in wales. Mind you we also have wet and yucky summers too...............[​IMG]

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Well , it would not be so bad if it was just wet , but we have very high humidity ( like 97ยบ with heat index of 125 ) .... PLUS Hurricane seasons start June 1st. In 2008 we got hit by 2 major canes

Try securing 2 coops and 3 runs with almost 100 head in the flock [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  9. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    [​IMG] 4 hrs. and 55 min. daylight today!!! And it warmed up finally after _45 F. temps for days on end-to _9 F. right now!! Reason to CELEBRATE!!!! It's amazing what a difference a little more daylight does!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh, and of course, we feel like we just had a heat wave hit! [​IMG] I told the "girls" to unpack their suitcase today, they really wanted to go to Hawaii, I had to break it to them gently that we weren't going anymore, that Hawaii had just come to us!!! [​IMG]

Edited to add: You may think I was kidding about the difference it makes to have a little more daylight-but man, it makes all the difference in the world in how you feel!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  10. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I SO can't wait...............I have a case of SAD....and have one of those "sunlight" things in my office..........because of it! !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by