DE Product

lmdengler

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
Can someone tell me what DE exactly is? My husband bought a bag of what he said is DE from Lowes . It is a white bag that says insect killer and that it contains DE. Is this the right stuff? And how do you recommend using it?

Attachments

• IMG_4719.PNG
    IMG_4719.PNG
    974.6 KB · Views: 7
If you are going to use DE for your chickens, you need to use FOOD GRADE. It appears what you have purchased has other ingredients and is for use in the garden only.

Do some research/reading to determine if it's a product you want to use. There are quite a few heated debates on using - look for threads here on BYC and the web.
If after careful reading you feel like it's something for you - then find the proper product - most feed stores carry DE, but look for labeling that tells you it's FOOD GRADE and usually it will also have dosage/feeding instructions on the bag/container as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY
71TDPFE%2BusL._SL1250_.jpg

upload_2017-8-12_12-42-46.png

Last edited:
I recommend using it in a trash can.
It is worthless, IMO, for anything chicken related, except the food grade DE that can be used to kill GRAIN mites that can be found in feed bags.

If your birds are outside and exposed to wild birds, sooner or alter they will have mites or lice. I check a few of my birds once a week or so, while they are roosting at night, with flashlight in hand. I loo around the vent and on the back under the feathers, and if one bird has one bug, everyone gets treated with permethrin spray from the farm store. Maybe once or twice a year at the most. Intestinal parasites can be an issue for some flocks, and not often for others. Having fecals run at the veterinarian's is the best way to be sure, and then decide what to do about it. Most of us don't have a big problem, but it just depends.
Biosecurity, as in protecting them from other chickens and possible diseases, and predator protection, are much bigger issues, and take more daily effort. Mary

Anything that kills bugs will kill bees, who are also bugs. The idea is to use a product for mites and lice on the birds in the coop, and then only spray or dust in the coop, not outside. Spreading DE or anything else outside in dust baths isn't good for the environment, or bees, either. Mary

Back
Top Bottom