DE Product

If your birds are outside and exposed to wild birds, sooner or alter they will have mites or lice. I check a few of my birds once a week or so, while they are roosting at night, with flashlight in hand. I loo around the vent and on the back under the feathers, and if one bird has one bug, everyone gets treated with permethrin spray from the farm store. Maybe once or twice a year at the most. Intestinal parasites can be an issue for some flocks, and not often for others. Having fecals run at the veterinarian's is the best way to be sure, and then decide what to do about it. Most of us don't have a big problem, but it just depends.
Biosecurity, as in protecting them from other chickens and possible diseases, and predator protection, are much bigger issues, and take more daily effort. Mary

I recommend using it in a trash can.
It is worthless, IMO, for anything chicken related, except the food grade DE that can be used to kill GRAIN mites that can be found in feed bags.

I am raising Organically so I won't use any chemicals/pesticides.
I have DE but watch how I use it and where it is.
Each to their own.
This is organic and approved for use on poultry:
pyganic_1.png
pyganic.jpg

If it is not Cert Organic then I won't use it. And futher reading is not showing it is safe either plus it is Toxic to Bees :( and aquatics . What might be ok to use Organically on poultry may not work well for other animals (think run off).

FYI, just for the record I did not say to use internally or even on the bird. I have only used it in the coop and dust bin

Last edited:
Anything that kills bugs will kill bees, who are also bugs. The idea is to use a product for mites and lice on the birds in the coop, and then only spray or dust in the coop, not outside. Spreading DE or anything else outside in dust baths isn't good for the environment, or bees, either. Mary

Back
Top Bottom