de-worming, but don't think worms are my problem NOW!

lickskillet

*Home of the Shoveler*
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Kentucky
Here is some history of WHY I thought maybe I should deworm...BTW: (I haven't seen any worms in their feces since I wormed them.)

Last weekend had one of my FAVORITE chickens, a modern, die from the only symptoms I could tell were:

Ruffled up feathers
Skinny
She had no drainage of any kind anywhere
No signs of diarrhea
Crop felt normal/empty

She had been eggbound in the past twice, in which I was able to get the eggs out. She was never a great layer. I immediately checked for eggbound this last time, but felt nothing. When she passed, she had these VERY small white I would guess lice around her face. So treated all of the chickens with a good dunk in INSECTRIN X and gave some PIPERAZINE-17(before I knew it was just for roundworms) a few days apart.
Here's my problem though. Since then, probably a week, I now have an EE hen with same lethargic stance BUT, she is having a clear liquid coming out of her mouth and occasional cough and diarrhea. She won't eat, but does drink some. I've looked up everything I can, but have no idea what I'm dealing with! No sneezing or head shaking or gaping or such.... TIA on any info as to where to start looking for answers! BTW these hens are/were about 3 yrs old this summer.

Bumping this to try and find you some help.
wink.png

I wish I could be more help to you. I've been blessed in that I haven't had to deal with illness. *knock on wood*
Here's hoping you get some answers soon.
fl.gif

I'm not sure what it could be either but I would isolate the other sick hen and keep her warm and quiet. Offer her treats like yorgurt or some scrambled/hard boilded eggs chopped up. Keep her hydrated too. So sorry for your troubles and good luck.

Ahhhh, THANKS gritsar, for bumping me! LOL
bow.gif
Maybe no-one has had these symptoms together before?? I'm just hopeful it is coincidental, and nothing more... time will tell!

I've offered her hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, hotdogs even, but nothing fazes her. I have added sugar to her water too. Thanks

You know I'm not familiar with this insectrin x, so I just went and looked it up. Still don't know much.
roll.png

Does it say on the label to apply it directly to the chicken's body?
I'm just wondering if the worming and the lice dip so close together were just too much for that particular chicken? Or perhaps she aspirated some of the dip?
I know it's just grasping at straws. Sorry.
sad.png

Here's what the bottle of INSECTRIN X says:

PROZAP Insectrin X
00ae.png

The PROZAP Insectrin X® insecticide is a highly versatile concentrate. Insectrin X® is approved for use on dairy and beef cattle, horses, sheep, swine, poultry and their premises.

The PROZAP Insectrin X
00ae.png
insecticide is a highly versatile concentrate. Insectrin X is approved for use on dairy and beef cattle, horses, sheep, swine, poultry and their premises. Quick knockdown with long lasting residual control. Insectrin X contains 10% Permethrin with a mixing rate of 1 quart to 25 gallons of water. Fog, mist, spray or dip for effective control of flies, mosquitoes, gnats, fleas, ticks, deer ticks, lice, mange mites, poultry mites, cockroaches and spiders.

All of the 30 or so other chickens aren't showing any signs of bad health(yet) though. And I spend alot of time with the chickens during the day. Hmmm aspiration, not sure. The modern hen who passed showed HER symptoms for 2-3 days before passing. Thanks for your help everyone, I'll keep searching for answers, and will keep checking this thread!​

Can you call the agricultural University in your state? We have a department that deals with poultry problems at Michigan State University. He is good at diagnosing over the phone.

Thanks wyliefarms
I think I'll call Uk tomorrow and ask some questions. I see on their website they have a form to fill out if worst case senario for an avian necropsy, and an address. If another should come down with symptoms, I'll definatly do this, or may do it anyway!! But will ask them questions in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestion! No change with the hen, one way or another btw. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom