Dead birds, two ill: weak, paralysis, what to do?

Wayoutwest

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight. two ducks, one 6 months old and one 1.5 years old, khaki and a runner
2) What is the behavior, exactly. laying on backs and paddling this morning, then improved to weakness, able to sit/drink weakly but not walk, can stand for moments. alert and responsive now but can't move well-the better of the two is vomiting
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. none
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. fed a stock feed in a small amount, toxicity? pellets in feed could be causing a choke?
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. see above-small amounts of water.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal, slightly runny
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? dribbled water, molasses water and small amount of charcoal into throat-not sure how much went down. providing lots of water, kept in warm place
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treat myself
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use: straw/shavings, outside run, kept inside run/coop for several weeks-consistant environment, nothing toxic/fed

I lost two ducks and a chicken this morning and fear I'm losing another two. As I indicated above they've improved but still can't walk, won't eat. All I can guess is that they were either poisoned by the feed they got or they are impacted with it. I have no real idea of how their crops are, it feels like a small water balloon, not noticeably large at all. I don't know when/if the duck ate last but it was minimal yesterday-I was out of feed and went to town for it yesterday. They got a small portion of the suspect feed yesterday morning. (DH bought the wrong stuff, kids fed it out) It's just a stock feed for all stock, pellets with corn/barley loose in it, molasses... That's what the one duck is vomiting up...

how do I empty their crops? they're getting weaker and I am on dialup and can't find the instructions here...

thanks for any help...

Hi:

Not a vet and not an expert.

In order to feed, you can get a long tube with an hole at the end.

With a 30cc syringe fill with some approved liquid food. The tube goes down the LEFT SIDE (facing you) so you don't put the tube into the lungs, but down into the stomach. If you have the tube in the correct location, it should move down easily. If it doesn't, it is probably not in the right place.

With the right amount of mix of powder and water, giving this twice a day provides protein, vitamins and water. It can save their lives, not withstanding other ailments.

thanks for your reply, unfortunately she just died.
sad.png

I'm so sorry. I know it really hurts. It is such a helpless feeling when our little girls get ill and weak.

I get very, very upset and do a lot of crying.

My best to you.

Geri

Back
Top Bottom