Dead chicken - missing entire face and defeathered at the back

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sfchixn, Nov 17, 2011.

1. sfchixn

sfchixn Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Sorry if this is graphic - one of our hens was killed last night. There are feathers everywhere and blood splatter -- looks like a struggle due to the feathers all over and blood. Hen's face was missing and body was missing feathers along the back (could be due to struggle). The backside was ripped down deep -- along the spine. I suspect hawk or owl due to the way the innards were pulled out through a smallish gash (about 1" wide, maybe 3" long).

Another clue -- all the other hens are spooked and hiding out underneath a structure as if hiding from something in the air.

2. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    hawks don't hunt at night.... if it was dark it was an owl.... it will be back unless you do something to deter it.....

3. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Could you please post a picture?

4. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:i don't thnk a picture will be of any help in this case.i think we can all get the "picture" in our head without actually seeing it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    My bet is an owl.

6. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    Do you have cats in the area? I ask because one here jumped on the back of one of the yard birds and dug it's claws in and tore out feathers and nicked it's face trying to get ahold of it's neck. It was only a 5-6 month old kitten and I think he watched ostritch racing or something, but seriously if he was an older cat I could see him doing that kind of damage.

7. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

might be coon, from what i heard they most of the time just remove head

8. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    my hen had all its feathers missing from her back and blood all over her back but her face was still there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by