Dead chicken purple comb

HH69

Chirping
Nov 4, 2020
I've had 6 chickens for 2 years. A couple weeks ago 1 of their combs looked purple. Chicken acted normal. Opened coop this morning and was laying dead. Currently I locked coop so others can't go back in. I plan to suit up and disinfect. Does anyone know what might be going on? With bird flu on news I'm concerned. Plus we have been eating the eggs..

Do you still have the carcass? If so post pictures so we can have a look.

You can also send to a lab for a necropsy, or do one at home.
I'm about suit up and mask and will take pics. I've ext office but Saturday so it's closed. I can't wait til Monday to dispose.

Suit and mask are likely unnecessary, what do you feed and what breeds? The comb turns purple as the blood settles after death. Or it could be a heart attack, birds are prone to heart attacks.

Suit and mask are likely unnecessary, what do you feed and what breeds? The comb turns purple as the blood settles after death. Or it could be a heart attack, birds are prone to heart attacks.
The comb has been purple like for weeks. But she was acting fine. I inspected and purple comb and crop was empty.

I'm about suit up and mask and will take pics. I've ext office but Saturday so it's closed. I can't wait til Monday to dispose.
Wrap the bird in a couple of layers of plastic garbage bags, put her in a styrofoam cooler on ice. She'll keep until Monday. I really recommend sending for a necropsy, it could ease your mind and could save the rest of your birds if it's something contagious. I'm sorry for your loss.

I think they're called golden comets. I did have 6 hens. No rooster. Very friendly. I give layer pellets and mix smaller bag of chicken seed mix. Then at night when closing I give them ends of veggys I used for the day and crushed shells from eggs and often some oats. I have tiny solar lights on inside of coop that last for few hours and solar spotlights on outside to prevent predators. But they are locked up tight. Only thing I've done different last couple weeks. Usually they are in bout 16x16 foot area covered with dark netting ( to keep filtered light.) Lots of hawks around. Plus let them go in chicken tractor. But lately couple hours b4 dark I'll sit out with them and let couple free range back yard at a time. There are bunnies birds and squirrels that hang out there too. Oh and I've let them have grass cuttings, that's new.

Still a good indicator of heart failure, she could have been dying for weeks
I'm thinking I should of thought more about the comb color. But she's been la de da pecking around like normal. So I didn't even look it up. :(
She was a sweet girl, they all are.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs

I would definitely send her in for a necropsy, especially with the symptoms and the bird flu.

(My riding instructors friend's chickens got the flu, and one of them was strutting around then just dropped down dead, so it can happen suddenly)

Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom