Dead chicken - too cold???

We got a humidity gauge and this morning when we let them out it was 80% in the coop and about 26 degrees outside. I left the door to the coop open tonight (the run is still secured so it’s still predator proof). The temperature in the coop was 35 and the humidity was 65%. What do y’all think?
I checked this morning and the temp in the coop was 27 and humidity 84%. Outside temp was 31 and humidity is 59%

In my humble opinion, the ventilation is most useful if placed near the ceiling. That way, your little darlings won’t get drafts coming from below when they are up on their roosts. If some sleep on the floor, it’s not good for them either (Some of my elderly hens choose to sleep on the floor in the straw bedding). The drop in humidity is definitely a step in the right direction. My coops are draft free below with openings near the rafters. I hope you can find the right remedy for your own coop. Good Wishes!
Thank you!

Lets assume (after reading the linked thread above) that you cant put a heater inside, you will want to keep it is dry as possible inside during the daytime, so at night the condensation doesnt build up too much. Removal of moisture during the day when the sun is up as best as possible.

-run a heater in the daytime to dry the inside
-remove any wet droppings

It depends what your heater situation can be. Opening up the coop all the way during the daytime may be a good enough solution of you can get any sun to dry it a little.
I checked this morning and the temp in the coop was 27 and humidity 84%. Outside temp was 31 and humidity is 59%

Back
Top Bottom