1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead chicken with no apparent cause

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sommrluv, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    So today my I found a my RIR dead under her roost. It looks like she just fell off it, no damage, no symptoms, nothing.

I'm concerned because last month I was in the hospital for 10 days, and we lost a chicken than. I can chalk one odd death up, but two? Of course, now I'm bummed because we just gave away 4 healthy hens to a friend who had lost most of his flock to a fox. They weren't laying every day and were over two years old, and we were supposed to get more, but the seller crapped out on us.

My other worry now is when I was sick, I had a bit of a recovery time so I'm just now taking over checking the flock mid-day and evening as opposed to the hubby doing it morning and night. Apparently finches and starlings had become accustomed to his schedule and have been in the coop all day, eating, drinking, playing. I noticed this last week and installed a big plastic hawk on a corner of the coop and hardware cloth over the fan, but they are still coming in the door to the run, as they can fit through the chicken wire.

Should I put all the chickens down? My vet is closed for the holiday still so an autopsy is out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by