Dead Chickens With No Marks???

asorensen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Milton, Florida
This morning I came out to find about 10 of my chickens missing, I had to be somewhere and was running late so I didn't have a lot of time to investigate but when I got home I found 6 of them scattered anywhere from 25 to 60 feet appart in my neighbors yard. I couldn't find any marks or blood on them but they appeared to have their necks broken. Two of them were hens that weighed about 8 or 9 pounds and the others were younger chickens between 3 and 4 months old but still not tiny chickens. Any idea of what could have done this? I live in Northwest Florida if that helps anyone identify predators from this area. They were not caged as someone had forgotten to close the coop but the other 5 chickens were still around the yard where they usually spend the day.

It sounds like dogs to me. So sorry about your birds.
sad.png

Look under thier wings.. Cats take tail feathers out... dogs bit them about snout length... they crush them in one bite and shake em... there will be holes where they held on... Definetly sounds like dogs.. Look for digging holes and look for neighbor's mutt... then SSS

no feathers torn off and no bite marks .....HHmmmm.....hate to say it but even dogs leave some marks and they love to tear feathers off.....check the neck...sometimes a mink will kill chicken to drink blood....if no neck bite marks ......I hate to say it but sounds like two legged predators....maybe neighborhood kids....maybe someone who doesnt like chickens. Either way i am truly sorry for your loss.

I can't find where OP wrote that there were no scattered feathers, just no blood or bite marks.

Bite marks can be hard to see.

I don't know if you have coyotes there, but sometimes they will also quickly kill many if they have the chance and then only take what they can carry right then, intending to take the others later. They have pups this time of year.

It is odd that your other chickens were acting as if nothing happened, no matter what predator did it.

Quote:
Only one chicken had feathers near her but I still couldn't find marks on her or blood...I felt her neck and it was broken. We do have coyotes in the area so maybe that is what happened. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom