Dead chickens

Cgoldmullen

Hatching
Jul 13, 2020
Hi everyone,
I’m a new poster but often come here for information and have fund many posts helpful. Between the last 3 days we’ve had 7 chickens suddenly drop dead. 4 were found on their back and 3 looked like they just fell off their purches. We can’t for the life of us figure out what’s going on. We thought at first it was the heat- it was high 90s the first day and they were found in the coop. But the others died the next day when it was much cooler. We’re giving them water and electrolytes now. They were from 2 different coops that don’t socialize. They are free range but on opposite sides of the farm. Any leads on what to look for. The bodies look healthy except that they’re dead.

Were there any symptoms before they died? Could they have had access to anything toxic? Can you send one off for a necropsy? Sorry for your losses. :(
We didn’t notice anything unusual before hand. I’ll look into sending one off. We’ve been doing this for 5 years now and have never experienced anything like it.

It sounds like something contagious.
Seen any alarming/unusual droppings?
Do their eyes look bright & healthy?
Their droppings look pretty normal from what I can see. They roam around a lot. We’re deep cleaning the coops today and then we’re going to keep them in for a few days and closely monitor them.

Hi everyone,
I’m a new poster but often come here for information and have fund many posts helpful. Between the last 3 days we’ve had 7 chickens suddenly drop dead. 4 were found on their back and 3 looked like they just fell off their purches. We can’t for the life of us figure out what’s going on. We thought at first it was the heat- it was high 90s the first day and they were found in the coop. But the others died the next day when it was much cooler. We’re giving them water and electrolytes now. They were from 2 different coops that don’t socialize. They are free range but on opposite sides of the farm. Any leads on what to look for. The bodies look healthy except that they’re dead.
What is your location? Do they have shade? Were they panting? I closely monitor my chickens in the heat and any panting chicken gets dipped in cool water. Since it was 90 one day, how much cooler was it the 2nd day?

How is your coop ventilation, and are they getting out of the coop during the day? Heat can be a killer, and shade, ventilation, and several shaded waterers are a must. Eating something toxic would be a second guess. Mold in feed when there has been a spill, a blue green color, or off odor should be checked out. Poisoning from eating plants, chemicals, or dead animal remains would be another thing to look for. Get a necropsy on one or two at your state vets to look for a cause. Keep bodies cold on ice in a cooler wrapped in garbage bags until you get a neceopsy.

What is your location? Do they have shade? Were they panting? I closely monitor my chickens in the heat and any panting chicken gets dipped in cool water. Since it was 90 one day, how much cooler was it the 2nd day?
It was high 90s the first day and then low the next. We get into the low 50s at night though (co mountains). Today we lost 2 more. I think it’s disease:( I’m so sad. The vets coming out tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom